Visiting "Battleship Island," abandoned coal facility off Nagasaki

13 Responses to “Visiting "Battleship Island," abandoned coal facility off Nagasaki”

1. Fred Talmadge says:

So why has no one made one of those future apocalyptic movies there?

• twodimensionalme says:

Because producers usually have a big budget to spend.
      At the same time producers are friends or have good connections with film studios and artists who need to work and make a lot of money.

• NelC says:

I understand that they made the sequel to Battle Royale there. But I haven’t seen it so I don’t know for sure.

Edit: And there has been the occasional glamour model shoot there.

• penguinchris says:

I’ve seen Battle Royale II and it was definitely filmed here based on the photos I’ve seen (from this article and others). Many of the most iconic and distinctive things on the island were used in the film.

FYI the movie sucks :) Might be worth watching if you’re really interested in the island, though (and of course the first film is definitely worth watching).

• Gakuranman says:

The Nagasaki administration is rather strict about who they let visit the island, and generally only let producers who are detailing the history and cultural aspects of Hashima film there. In other words, post-apocalyptic movies are not the sort of image the city administration wants to present, especially as there is a movement to have the island registered as a world heritage site.

2. bklynchris says:

Its like a Japanese version of the set for Tarkovsky’s “Stalker”.

3. NelC says:

I went to Nagasaki in 2010, and was surprised that there were regular tours to Gunkanjima, though I was a bit disapointed to realise that the official tour didn’t stray far from the landing jetty. Still, the part we could see was sufficiently apocalyptic. It really did look like the aftermath of the nuclear war we had nightmares about in the seventies and eighties.

4. OMG I want to visit there so much. Fascinating.

Scenes of post-civilization have always had a certain morbid beauty…

5. LeSinge says:

Anyone know why this site won’t work for me? Homepage loads but any article returns:
    Warning: file_get_contents(/home/gakuranman/gakuranman.com/eng/wp-content/plugins/googlecards/css/card/221cde805d0d113aff03b36182d00fed) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in/home/gakuranman/gakuranman.com/eng/wp-content/themes/spectrum/functions/admin-style.php(1) : eval()’d code on line 1

6. Dicrel Seijin says:

My God, I did not know that this place was real. I just thought it was a shared fictional world that popped up from time to time in the manga or anime that I consumed. Well, that’s another one on the list for when I visit Japan some day.

7. PreetiMishra says:

Coal is valued for its energy content. Coal mining can have a large environmental impact and needs to be managed. Coal mining processes are differentiated by whether they operate on the surface or underground.

Documentary – “Hot As Hell : Long Arm of the Law”reveals widespread incidence of pilferage and illegal mining in the area that have become a way of life for many and a source of livelihood and sustenance for the underprivileged sections of society.

To watch please visit – http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play/1168