Then & Now #12: Apple crate art

12 Responses to “Then & Now #12: Apple crate art”

1. Eric Calhoun says:

The Snow Chief guy looks like a rip-off of the Where the Wild Things are illustrations.

2. xzzy says:

That poor little native american facsimile is going to have some major spine problems in his later years if he keeps carrying loads away from his chest like that.

3. SedanChair says:

It got your attention…

• johnjupiter says:

har har har, and now my vintage apple crate label is worth more due to the destruction… “how?” you ask? ahh, now you’re speakin my language…

4. MandoZink says:

I would like to see the art for the Motts Applesauce jar before they quietly changed it in the 80′s.  Back then I had heard a small news item about how the center of the sliced-open apple on the label was actually a woman’s nether region. I looked at a jar and remembered how stunned I was.  It was blatantly obvious once it was pointed out, almost a photograph! One month later the labels were redesigned and I never again saw the original “subliminal” label again.

• Donald Petersen says:

Just do a Google Images search for Mott’s applesauce.  It shows up eventually, and sure enough… looks delicious!

• teapot says:

Link please… I couldn’t find it (but I don’t know what I should be looking for, cause we don’t have that brand in Aus)

@google-aa7749ce7e3d01e281c9ca1b18171fc8:disqus If you haven’t seen this awesome (and true) graphic design sneakiness, then check it out: http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/poster.asp

I am a graphic designer and though my sneakiness is less awesome then this, I guarantee that there is more of this stuff out there than you can imagine. Most recently I shooped out a terrible framed 80′s portrait shot which was included as part of an in-situ product image, and replaced all that permed blonde hair with a picture of Bradley Manning.

• johnjupiter says:

OMG nature copied it too! Did you notice that every woman’s nether region looks like a sliced open apple?

5. Rich Keller says:

Sure, Mark. You recycle the Sno-Chief bag, so it’s gone from your life. But, don’t you realize, once it’s on the Internet, it’s on FOREVER! (cue reverb)

6. John Cope says:

Moving away from handmade wooden crates to corrugated paper boxes had consequences in regards to graphic design. Flexographic printing on an uneven surface doesn’t allow for the same level of detail as lithographic printing, and when it does it’s probably going to be too expensive of a process for a commodity crop like apples.

7. johnjohnson says:

Was that a waxed box? If so, it’s almost certainly not recyclable.