All the 1958 Fords

Here's the 1958 Ford brochure, in super-widescreen, showing all the models in a mural of tailspin desiderata.

It's also available on Flickr at a whopping 2380 px wide, suitable for framing.

1958 Fords

29 Responses to “All the 1958 Fords”

1. winkybb says:

Surely you mean a “Tailfin Desiderata”?

2. Hakuin says:

ah don’ts see mah pick-hup truck.

3. Kerouac says:

I thought I had them all.  It looks like I missed a few.

4. Donald Petersen says:

Bad.  Ass.

(Translates as: “Mercury.  Edsel.”)

5. Donald Petersen says:

My favorite year of T-Bird, too.  Certainly the most Batmobilesque.

6. Toff says:

“We’e’va car for YOU”: pity they didn’t fix that.

7. Danny Stark says:

My first car was the red and white four door Ranch Wagon, third row down, far left. Bought it in Ojai, Calfornia, Ojai Valley Ford, 1965, $475. My expressway to freedom, that car. Used it for surfing, dating, cruisin’ Main Street in Ventura. California Coast version of American Graffiti. Unthinkable for a teenage boy in Southern California to not have a car before leaving high school in the sixties. Cars, surfing, girls. Mandatory.

8. retepslluerb says:

My vision must be defective. All I see is a car, painted differently and shown from different angles.

9. nixiebunny says:

I’m a Chevy guy, and I drive a 1958 Chevy wagon. It looks surprisingly like the 1958 Mercury station wagon on the side. The slanted fins are inside-out on the Mercury, however.

It is amazing how bright the colors were back then. I recently saw a BMW new-car book and the colors were various shades of gray, for all I could tell.

• GyroMagician says:

So true about the colours. A friend of mine has just ordered a Prius. The only actual colours available, excluding dull greys, were dull blue and red. She chose red. But the salesman couldn’t get hold of anything so exciting, offering her white or grey. Whatever happened to all the pretty colours? Is this all about picking the most boring colour to maintain the highest resale value?

• retepslluerb says:

Probably.    Though I don’t understand the need for it anymore. I thought putting car foil on cars was a trivial  process by now.

10. “It’s also available on Flickr at a whopping 2380 px wide, suitable for framing.”

I don’t think that’s as big as you think it is.  You’d likely get an A4 print out of that, at the most – you probably couldn’t even read the text on it.

Unless you’re planning on printing at 72dpi. in which case it’d look poops.

11. Christopher says:

I was born after fins were fashionable, but I remember occasionally seeing cars with fins when I was a kid. And I loved them and didn’t understand why they stopped making fins on cars. I still don’t understand it. I admit I don’t know car models from Shinola, but I still love any car with fins.

12. IronEdithKidd says:

Ford/Murcury Citation or Pacer does not compute for my lifetime.   Also Ranger /= small truck?

• Neil ! says:

The Ranger name was re-used in the 1970s for full-sized trucks, and only starting in 1983 for compact trucks.

Also, while lots of these cares are variations on a theme, I could still imagine every one as a candidate for restoration. I have trouble imagining more than a small handful of cars sold in my lifetime. Certainly not the workhorse sedans equivalent to these. But perhaps I’m narrow-minded, and a 1997 Taurus will seem exotic and beautiful in 30 years.

• irksome says:

I’ll sell you my wife’s ’98 Sable; future classic! Except for it’s endemic tranny issue that leaves a puddle on the driveway every week or so.

• Donald Petersen says:

The Citation, Pacer, and Ranger were Edsel models.  Edsel itself was a subdivision of Ford (like Lincoln and Mercury) for its brief lifespan.  So you’re right, you wouldn’t see a Ford Citiation or a Mercury Pacer.  But a buddy of mine has an Edsel Ranger.  Edsel didn’t last long; even though the cars were well-equipped, they were kinda hideous due to that horsecollar grille that made them look, in my mother’s words, “like they’d been goosed.”  (The wikipedia article mentions that some people said Edsels look like an Oldsmobile sucking a lemon.)  The last year toned down the styling, but 1960 was the third and final year for Edsels.

• IronEdithKidd says:

I’m well aware of Ford’s ownership of Edsel.  Crap, I’m sitting about 10 miles from the Ford ancestral compound.

Donald, IIRC, you’re Australian?   In the US, during my lifetime the Citation was a Chevy and the Pacer was an AMC.

13. soapdish says:

I fail to see how the Edsel stood out as being so vastly more ugly than the rest of those ugly vehicles.

• photodawg says:

People were just not ready for a car with anything but a horizontal grill. The Edsel was really well put together, even for those days, but people just couldn’t get past the grill, unlike today’s Chrysler with it’s “big mouth bass” grill.

14. WillieNelsonMandela says:

The Fairlane 500 Skyliner with a retractable hard top. That would be my pick.

15. irksome says:

Ah yes, the year of my birth. I would gladly kill today for a ’58 Ranch Wagon.

16. pjcamp says:

Mom’s wearing, what, exactly? A Tupperware touring hat?