Expert showmanship in the streetside preparation of a banana pastry

28 Responses to “Expert showmanship in the streetside preparation of a banana pastry”

1. knijon says:

I didn’t want to watch the video, but it was as if seeing the word “banana” triggered something in my brain that said “Look at it.  Just look at it.”

2. Bartacus says:

Yeah, the headline should be “Just look at this Banana pastry making performance.  Just look at it.”

3. mdot says:

I looked and then I could not look away.

4. guanto says:

Going by what you can see in the video: some tourist area in Thailand.

• Marshall says:

Yeah, I’ve only ever seen roti vendors in proximity to Western Tourists (and also, not coincidentally, clusters of prostitution) in Thailand.

This is a popular “safe food” for backpackers who aren’t really interested in actually experiencing Thailand, or who have been bowled over by culture shock.  It’s ashamedly common to hear someone’s summation of their Thai trip as involving eating these and fruit smoothies the entire time they were in country.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

And then wondering why they got diarrhea.

• Virak_Mac says:

Thais love Roti as well.

• TheMudshark says:

Damn right. Next time I´m in Bangkok I´m going to tell my Thai friends they can go have ice cream crêpes at MBK without me, as from now on I´m only interested in actually experiencing Thailand and am not going to be bowled over by culture shock anymore. I wouldn´t want to look foolish after all.

• guanto says:

I’m not judging, just wanted to clarify the (approximate) location and context (as evidenced by the English signs and the currency) since Cory just wrote ‘Asian.’ I bet those things are delicious, why wouldn’t you eat them?

5. Just look at this banana pastry prep, just look at it.

6. WaylonWillie says:

Who can tell us what he is making? I would buy two.

• sbattersby says:

Traveling through Thailand many moons ago, we dubbed these vendors “banana gods” because their treats seem heaven-sent after a night of revelry.

Known there as roti, it’s a light, stretchy dough cooked on a flattop griddle with your choice of sweet and savory fillings.  He’s drizzling the pastry with chocolate syrup and sweetened condensed milk at the end. For a heartier twist, you can order it with peanuts or an egg scrambled in with the bananas, too.

• Dree says:

How is this not just a crepe?

• legotech says:

Different dough I think? Crepes usually have a liquid batter that goes on the griddle and gets spread around to make a thin crust, this looks like it’s a raised dough that gets stretched like a pizza dough.

• guanto says:

A crêpe is milk, flour and eggs, a roti is water, flour and fat (and salt, probably). One starts out as a runny batter, the other as a pizza-like dough (minus the yeast). One is very soft, porous and moist, the other is essentially a flatbread with a comparatively dry surface.

7. Cameron Low says:

In South East Asia, in countries like Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia – as far as I know – these are call Rotis – often referred to as Roti Canai or Prata depending on where are you from. They are quite popular with no fillings, you have them as sides along with curries. But you can fill them with whatever..

8. jesuscliment says:

That’d be Thailand. I tried those and are A. Ma. Zing.

9. Senor Schaffer says:

I think he just has massive OCDs. :

10. User 100 says:

“[...]and all round bad-ass banana pastry maker.”

You really shouldn’t use “ass” and “banana” in the same sentence.
    No matter how many “pastries” there are nearby—it just doesn’t make up for it…

11. fortunitydwi says:

in Indonesia we call it kungfu chef ……. great …..

12. Hugh Johnson says:

I counted at least 6 instances of possible cross-contamination. Hope he keeps his hands clean.

13. billstewart says:

Looks a lot like a Benihana show, only with dessert.

14. spokehedz says:

And yet again, America misses out on this because people think that being a street food vendor is somehow ‘below’ them. Like picking fruit. Or working on a farm… We really are a nation of complainers are we not?

Do one thing, do it exceptionally well, and that’s all you gotta do. And sell it! Sell it like you are selling diamonds and pearls!

• L_Mariachi says:

I take it your neighborhood has not experienced the food truck explosion. In San Francisco this guy could be charging eight bucks instead of 35 Bhat ($1.15)

15. pjcamp says:

Bananihana.

16. Kimmo says:

Awesome vendor is too quick for crappy bitrate.