Delicious, ready-to-eat giant water bugs, frozen fresh to seal in the flavor

27 Responses to “Delicious, ready-to-eat giant water bugs, frozen fresh to seal in the flavor”

1. Snig says:

They’re famous for a very painful bite.  In the bug bites man way, not the man bites bug  way.

2. huskerdont says:

How could she resist? They were only 2.99!

3. GawainLavers says:

Yet other aquatic arthropods are considered normal food.  Still, I have to say the difference between crustaceans and insects is a pretty major variance in the ratio of chitin to meat.

I thought the guys on the bottom right were cockroaches, now I think they probably are water beetles.  Nonetheless!  I can’t kill cockroaches that size (of which there are plenty in Thailand) with a shoe, not sure how I’m suppose to bite through any insect that big.

4. SumAnon says:

Ate water bug in Cambodia. It was suprisingly tasty. Don’t mock it ’til you try it.

5. marilove says:

Oh god no no no no no no.

6. voiceinthedistance says:

Not a bad price for them at all, unless you calculate the price per pound.

7. Jon Sanders says:

These are actually a lot closer to eating lobster than you’d think — you can pop open the carapace and excavate the tasty little flight muscles, like tiny chicken nuggets. As SumAnon says, surprisingly tasty — a little pungent, with hints of pear.

Not bad for crazed alien underwater killing machines.

• cjporkchop says:

Thanks for this! I was wondering what they would taste like, and now I have some idea.

I might actually try one if I ever get the chance…

• Hanglyman says:

Good to know. I’ve never been able to understand people eating bugs outside of survival situations, not because “ew, bugs”, but because I don’t get why anyone would eat something that’s mostly indigestible exoskeleton. It’s like eating crab or shrimp without shelling it first, or eating the rind and stem of a pineapple. Your anecdote makes these seem a lot more edible.

8. charming.quark says:

Unicorn chaser, please.

Please.

9. niktemadur says:

Normally I don’t go for all-out profanity at Boing Boing, but I speak from the heart and probably for many others here when I say:  Fuck That Shit!

10. lecti says:

Them’s eat’n-size!

11. Slowermo says:

I know it may only be a result of my upbringing that I find eating that gross but, man, my upbringing did a really good job.

12. munchabout says:

I had these last time I was in Thailand.  Once I worked up the nerve to try them, they’re actually not bad at all.  I was pleasantly surprised.

13. snowmentality says:

N.B. “Giant water bug” is a totally different species (actually, a different order) of insect from the cockroaches commonly called “water bugs” in some parts of the U.S.

I had to look that up just now, in order to not flail and shriek at the idea of enormous cockroaches all packaged up for eating. This is not that. Thank God.

I have eaten crickets in jambalaya — very crunchy, didn’t taste like much. Once I got over the “ZOMG I’m eating BUGS” mental hurdle, it was pretty anticlimactic. I could not bring myself to eat mealworms, although I suspect they taste just as non-terrifying as crickets.

I think I could eat giant water bugs if I pretended very very hard they were crabs.

• Cobwebs says:

I prepared and ate mealworms as part of a project back in college.  They taste remarkably like Doritos.  That…always worried me a little.

• Snig says:

I would be reassured, I imagine mealworms are likely healthier than the professed contents of Doritos.

14. Sapa says:

That’s a bit extreme mom.

15. Preston Sturges says:

I’ve seen them in a Thai grocery.  They were packaged like that and sold frozen.  I always assumed you fry them up tempura style.

16. Shai_Hulud says:

Ca Cuong! Train your tastebuds, expand your mind! Baron Ambrosia explains… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB1uTuADH9c http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7UYOq-rHSk&feature=related

17. greggman says:

Of course you know you can go to any Korean grocery store in America, go to the tuna section and find cans of these right next them

I tried them. Weren’t my cup of tea by my Korean GF promised me they’re pretty universally popular in Korea

18. Beanolini says:

Lots of people have water bugs in their own freezer. I certainly do.