Old toy for teaching children to accurately drop atom bombs

48 Responses to “Old toy for teaching children to accurately drop atom bombs”

1. PhosPhorious says:

Look, if kids are going to be dropping nukes. . .  you want them to do it accurately.

This toy serves a vital need!

2. Stefan Jones says:

I wonder if this started out as a not-specifically-atomic-bomb WWII vintage target game, and got relabeled.

3. Marko Raos says:

ah, good old days…

• Daniel Smith says:

before all this namby pamby coddling non-violence became so popular, you know, when kids could be kids! I especially like that the bomb is “all metal”, none of this nerf wussie stuff.

4. jonmichaels says:

I am way too young to remember this game but it did just remind me of a bombing game that I used to play at a friend’s house. There was some kind of a crosshair system on an arm above a rotating ground. You’d move the crosshair back and forth and try to drop the bomb in the target. Maybe it was a parachuting game. There was definitely a parachute on the thing you dropped. We alternated between playing with that and setting crazy jumps for the rev-up Evel Knievel stunt bike.

5. William Nicholls says:

Yes, we’ve made so much progress! Now we have first-person-shooter games and other vivid simulations of mayhem that really ad the personal touch to play killing.

6. . says:

That is super cool! I had a cast Stuka that would drop a metal bomb when you pressed a button. The bomb could take little roll caps that tore to fit, and would make a nice bang if it hit righ on concrete.  I can remember taking a plastic model of the Bismark and bombing it with the Stuka, (while I was watching Sink the Bismark! on TV).

7. TrollyMcTrollington says:

It’s the only way to be sure.

8. BonzoDog1 says:

When this kid grew up he invented the  GBU-28 bunker buster, appearing soon at your local Iranian centrifuge facility.
    (Why is it all the cartoon kids of this era look like Tom Sawyer on meth?)

9. Fogbert says:

What does “automatic” in the phrase “Automatic Metal Bomb Release” mean exactly?

• Thorzdad says:

If this is anything like the bomber toy I had as a kid (and it appears to be very similar) “automatic” means “the bombs drop as soon as you press the red button on top of the fuselage”.

10. cramerica says:

Slim Pickens figure sold separately

11. dogugotw says:

Pfft. Now days we gots Angry Birds to practice our artillery skilz

12. Petzl says:

Norden bombsight sold separately.

13. alex w says:

Have been looking for a reason to share these – from an Australian newspaper liftout in the 1930s. “Dropping Bombs From Model Aeroplanes.”

14. teapot says:

I wonder if the Imperial Japanese sold toys where you got to bomb hospitals?

This is just about as tasteful.

15. edthehippie says:

silly old people !! everyone these days knows that CLOSE COUNTS with atomic weaponry , as it does also with hand grenades and horse shoes !!  also , the illustration appears to be  a cargo plane !! also , an ” ace ” refers to someone who has shot down 5 ( or more ) enemy aircraft , not to precision bombing !!

16. pjcamp says:

When your hand is attached directly to your neck, you have to take your fun where you can get it.

17. David Kopelman says:

I AM the ace of my own Air Corps and you people can bite it!!!

18. penguinchris says:

Whatever the PC implications, the toy itself looks pretty cool. As millions of Angry Birds players can attest, ballistic trajectories can be a lot of intuitive fun, for whatever reason.

One of my favorite things in the Battlefield games set in WW2 (i.e. not the latest ones) was to drop bombs; I almost never hit on target because it’s so difficult but when you do it’s exceedingly satisfying.

19. Frank Diekman says:

New band name: Automatic Metal Bomb Release

20. ganman says:

What a superfluous use of…
    ellipses.