Independent watchdog says Canada's 2011 elections may have been corrupt

15 Responses to “Independent watchdog says Canada's 2011 elections may have been corrupt”

1. Hakuin says:

so? If your police and courts are corrupt who cares about an election? Nothing will be done about it.

2. …or appointed by Harper

3. elix says:

In other news, it emerged today that water is wet and plants grow better when exposed to sunlight instead of being submerged in high-strength hydrochloric acid.

• tnmc says:

It’s responses like this that ensures our slow descent into an authoritarian, dystopia of a future.

• elix says:

For context, I’m Canadian, and I’m no fan of the Harper Government[tm]. This last federal election was the first that I can remember where there were enough reports of irregularities and other things to complain about that I suspected that things were definitely being tampered with.

The disclosure of the robocalling just cemented it. I think you’re interpreting my snark to be a lot more broad than I intended for it. Harper has demonstrated outright contempt for what anyone else wants unless they talk in money. I want a sane, halfway-decent government, and Harper is neither.

4. joeposts says:

Harper is now accusing the opposition parties of sabotaging their own campaigns during the last election, just so that they can now claim that the sabotage was caused by the ruling Conservative Party. It’s the world’s most convoluted smear campaign!

Hmmm… HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. I don’t buy it!

But Harper has no real choice at this point but to deny, deny, deny. If his party is caught, it doesn’t matter what he says now, and if they manage to bury this scandal like all of the others, it’ll look good that he didn’t equivocate on this point.

5. Gordon Stark says:

Harper and accomplices have already been judged and convicted, behind the scenes, and would not be circumventing justice in this unprecedented matter.

6. Andrew Fogarasi says:

“she was instructed to tell people that she was working on behalf of the Conservative party,”

on behalf of the Tories? Really? ummm, methinks there should be a correction here, non?

7. Petzl says:

Conservatives in the US have been doing this type of fraud for a while:  passing out leaflets in primarily Democratic areas reminding them to vote– on a date that is past the actual voting date.  Then, Republicans try to pass voter “fraud” bills requiring strict ID requirements, knowing that such requirements hit Democrats’ demographic the hardest.

They profit from actual fraud, then profit from “deterring” nonexistent fraud.  Good times.