4 superstars of American street art in episode 501 of The Simpsons

13 Responses to “4 superstars of American street art in episode 501 of The Simpsons”

1. Brainspore says:

Conal is a great guy. He was one of the few prominent street artists who actually got back to me when I was trying to find subjects to interview for my Masters’ thesis.

2. Bender says:

I bet they show Shepard Fairey back in his hotel room watching skinemax while the guys he hired are out pasting up his work.

edit- Even better, the guys he hires are Bart and Milhouse.

3. hypersomniac says:

Will be the first time I’ve watched The Simpsons in years. Just watched the David Choe doc ‘Dirty Hands’ which I found more entertaining than ‘Exit Through the Gift Shop’.

• MrEricSir says:

Will be the first time I’ve watched The Simpsons in years.

Keep your expectations low and your beer glass full, and you might be able to power through it.

• musesum says:

Wow. David Choe, I just watched ‘Dirty Hands’ based on your post. Particularly like the “finished” piece discussion with Sean Parker at Facebook – the $200M finished piece.

4. Guest says:

I happened on Conal’s crews slapping up posters in the middle of the night in  Los Angeles more than a few times.  I always loved seeing them, or just seeing the posters show up in various places. They were always dead-on and did an amazing job encapsulating current issues.  They’re a strong part of my 80′s L.A. iconography. Long may you wave, Mr. Conal!

5. emilydickinsonridesabmx says:

I was never a fan of Kenny Scharf’s art until about two years ago. There is a wall in Manhattan, on Houston St. just east of Broadway, that many famous/infamous graf artists have painted over the years. It’s huge, it runs the entire block. The city asked Scharf to paint it. It’s on my way to work, so for a few days I had the opportunity to watch him paint. I was really impressed. He did the whole mural with spray cans and a little cherry picker. The finished product is great, but watching him put it together can by can was a unique process to watch. Ever since seeing this piece get created, I’ve been a Kenny Scharf fan.

Here’s a link to him painting the Houston St. mural: http://www.freshnessmag.com/2010/11/29/kenny-scharf-mural-on-houston-street-and-bowery-street/

6. Wayne Dyer says:

Conal’s “Men With No Lips” still resonates with me.

7. hassan-i-sabbah says:

Ah c’mon Matt the last time I spoke to Banksy he was very gracious, said you were a “Swell Fellow” and that he “Really respected the work that you do, and the debt of gratitude owed to you by the street art community is immeasurable.” Don’t be such a churl, and put memories of “that weekend ” aside.