Sony's dual-screen Tablet P arrives

35 Responses to “Sony's dual-screen Tablet P arrives”

1. Andrew Singleton says:

OK fine I”ll bite. Nintendo contracted Sony out for their next gen DS or has Sony finally given up on the PSP and decided to outright steal the DS’s form factor?

• Pssssst. Just out this week: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Vita

• Andrew Singleton says:

Yea but who cares about the Vita? All I’ve heard over it is complaints at it using yet ANOTHER proprietary card format along with things like price, being tied to one of the worst carriers for data services and the like.

Edit: Knew the Vita existed. Just couldn’t resist making a jab at Sony’s expense given how the new tablet looks.

2. Comment_Fu says:

Its ugly, clunky looking and they only show one screen shot on it.

It will rely on Sony writing their own apps and lets face it, Sony are terrible at writing software.

Yuck.

3. Tom Ligman says:

I… don’t hate it… a pair of 5.5″ 1024×480 screens, hard case protects it in your pocket when folded…. but their spec page says “nvidia tegra” for the processor… if that’s really tegra and not tegra2 or tegra3, they’re WAAAY late to the game with this.

4. It looks like a big hardcase purse when it’s closed. Reminds me of the Vaio P’s marketing, which was aimed mostly at women.

• Palomino says:

Yes, otherwise known as a Clutch. (Copyright Nintendo Clutch?)

Sad thing is, you can put a cellphone and personal gamer inside one of ‘em.

5. Richard Dagenais says:

Those are some seriously pricey data plans. And I’m writing from Canada!

• wrybread says:

Agreed. Why no $25/2 gig plan, as with iPads? And to even have the option of a contract seems antiquated now. I wonder what the back story is. Does AT&T have the power to dictate terms to Sony?

6. I wish my smartphone folded like this.   I keep butt-dialing the US (from the UK!)

7. PapayaSF says:

How do these manufacturers think they are going to compete with iPads when they keep producing tablets that cost about the the same, are inferior in so many ways, and run old versions of Android?

Also, this is another example of how the old truism about Apple products being so expensive does not seem to apply to iOS devices.

• msbpodcast says:

It doesn’t even apply to OS X devices, which why the 802.11N MacBook Pro is a  science geek staple. (Think of a photograph of the propeller heads at CERN… How many laptops do you see that aren’t MacBook Pro’s. Very very few. Now how many desktop machines do you see? Very very few. [Laptop for UI and big UNIX iron for the data capture and wrestling the computations to the ground.])

• penguinchris says:

Yep, it’s easily 85% or more Macs in most every university science department. Those that don’t use them tend to convert next time they upgrade.

I’m not sure why you specify 802.11N though as every MBP since at least as far back as 2009 (when I bought mine) supports it.

8. waetherman says:

Not sure exactly why a $550 tablet is a “difficult sell” – assuming that price still has a 4G chip in it, it’s $100 less than a comparable iPad. Even without a 4G chip it’d be about the same price with a more innovative, practical (for some) design. The design is almost exactly that of the Microsoft Courier that the Internets went gaga over a couple years ago, and I for one would love to see that concept come to reality, though perhaps with a slightly different hardware design.

Including the price of a wireless contract always makes these devices seem absurdly priced, but that’s not Sony’s problem, it’s AT&T/Verizon/etc.

• flickerKuu says:

Having a fast connection means nothing when your apps and OS are garbage. I don’t care how fast it is if it’s cheap, unwieldy, and hard to use.

9. cellocgw says:

I’ll stick with my Onda vi40, thanks all the same.

10. Brainspore says:

Two screens too small for enjoying video AND a form-factor too big to comfortably fit in a pocket? Score!

11. wrybread says:

I’d love to try it. Until recently I thought the iPad was untouchable, but then I picked up an HP Touchpad since they’re being unloaded so cheaply. I figured I’d ditch WebOS and put Android on right away, but I was really surprised to like WebOS much better than iOS. Much better multitasking, much nicer interface in general. Who’d a thunk?

A total shame that HP retired WebOS, but that’s another story. And the hardware was a bit behind the thin and light iPad. But the experience definitely left me much more open minded to alternative tablet designs.

12. Baldhead says:

Toshiba made something similar the other year… and it kinda sucked. typing was a pain, the screens are too small to use for most things you want an actual computar for but the whole thing isn’t compact like a smartphone is…

13. Palomino says:

Is it just me, or is everyone missing that this is NOT a smartphone? Yes, it’s being promoted as an Android device, but  it can’t  utilize all Android apps. I agree with many who say paying the data plan is expensive, it is if you are paying for cellular service too. They could have gone minimal, using only Google Voice, a microphone and headphones, like most other laptops.

All in all, it’s a very expensive cloud  device.

The only device out there that successfully married a folding handheld gaming device and  Android, is the Kyocera Echo. I see a lot of bad reviews about the Echo. But when I pull mine out and open it, people walk up to me asking “What is that, where did you get it?”

14. Ito Kagehisa says:

4G.  Pfftt.  My Red Wing Wellingtons are 6G!

Wake me up when you’ve got ten Gs, OK?

(For those who don’t know, these “G” terms are effectively meaningless, especially since the ITU retroactively changed the absolute meaning)

15. frozenintime says:

I’ll wait for the new iPad next week.