34 Responses to “Island of Guersney moots becoming a "libel haven" where rich & powerful can sue & silence critics”

1. Mari Lwyd says:

They’re collecting in a small area. Excellent.

2. been or the

You might want to insert an f before the o.

3. Jerry Harmon says:

Let me go on record as stating that Tiger Woods is not the best golfer ever, that George W. Bush was a lousy President, and that Obama isn’t a whole lot better.

Figured I’d get that out of the way before those opinions become actionable.

4. EvilTerran says:

Taking after the mainland, then. The indie press in Britain have long been grumbling about our status as a destination for libel tourism ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libel_tourism ).

5. elix says:

I guess nobody’s heard of the Streisand Effect… especially when Anonymous gets involved.

6. dsdsds says:

Fine, but please clarify this to me. You got  an judgement by a court of Guernsey. But how can you enforce this claim in another country? This little island is not a part of the UK neither the EU. Maybe I am stupid but what is the benefit of such a kind of judgement if there is no law enforcement treaty between Guernsey and any other country in the world.

• Mari Lwyd says:

Maybe it’s like those countries that print collectible money? A corporate collect-em-all game?

(note: this isn’t a serious idea. I have the same questions as you about the original matter)

• starko says:

You don’t always need a treaty.  Some courts will enforce foreign judgments as a matter of international comity, so long as the participants were afforded an adequate measure of procedural due process and so long as it doesn’t grossly conflict with the enforcing country’s public policy.  It’s actually an interesting question whether U.S. courts would enforce judgments like these.  With rich and powerful plaintiffs, I’m not so sure they wouldn’t.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Interpol will abduct you for a foreign parking ticket now.

• thegibbshow says:

This is simply about greedy Lawyers/Barristers.

7. Rob Taylor says:

As a former resident of the island this is probably nothing more than what it seems – a way to get rich people to part with their money by offering them something they think they need.

Guernsey is a crown dependency, so it has a Royal Court, giving it a connection to the UK legal system, and thereby, the EU courts. At least, that’s the way I look at it. However, any judgement handed down by a Guernsey court is most likely to be appealed into non-existence in higher courts.

By the time that happens, however, the island will have extracted its pound of flesh. It all seems a little pointless for anyone other than the Guernsey States, who stand to make money out of it.

8. Guido says:

Oh, noes!

I want to be a law-abbiding citizen, you know, so I’d really like a database that let us know who we cannot mock. It’s not like they are going to be mocked anyway, or that anonymous will go after them. No, no, honest, I just want to know to avoid getting in trouble. Wink, wink.

9. nemryn says:

Eh, I’ll just register my own image there, and then anybody who claims I’ve committed libel is smearing me.

10. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

I always wonder what kind of childhoods people like Jason Romer had that made them turn out to be such crappy people.

11. Stooge says:

This is a ridiculous conspiracy theory, which ironically, completely ignores the actual conspiracy that the law is intended to support.

Guernsey has no interest in milking touchy millionaires for injunctions and damages which the rest of the world will ignore.

This is simply an extension of the existing tax haven scam: by recognising image rights in Guernsey, global image rights can be assigned to a Guernsey-based corporation, and consequently the revenues are taxed in Guernsey rather than in some other jurisdiction where corporation taxes are greater than zero.

12. Mitchell Glaser says:

Forget Iran, nuke Guernsey!