iOS ukulele app: the Futulele

26 Responses to “iOS ukulele app: the Futulele”

1. mkultra says:

What I love about this is that it’s taking the most incredibly simple, easy to build, easy to play musical instrument and recreating it in the most over-the top, technically-complicated, mind-bogglingly complex way. …and yet it all looks and plays pretty much the same.

I don’t know if this is a great musical tool or not, but conceptually I think it’s a work of art.

• renke says:

art as in genius or as in madness?

• mkultra says:

…you ask that question as if those are two poles of a continuum, and not utterly orthogonal.

An equivalent invention to my mind would be a cheese slicer that instead of a wire, features a high-powered laser. (and yet is designed to look and function exactly like a traditional cheese slicer)

• splashu says:

Practicality is definitely not its strongpoint. Playing a stringed instrument without feeling the strings is a bit…. counterintuitive.

• Stooge says:

On the other hand, being able to play the uke without altering your standard nailcare regimen is a practicality plus point.

• The problem with this thing is that it doesn’t play much the same as a real ukulele. The strum pattern on even the one demo song was stilted and unmusical. Now, I don’t know what the price of this contraption will be, though I did see the guitar one at NAMM and it doesn’t look like it’ll cost less than an ACTUAL ukulele that’s just as good or much better for practicing. Just buy a ukulele, seriously. Get a crappy one for $10 or $20 and if you get good and/or really like it, then go splurge and spend a couple hundred on a pretty good one.

2. ryuchi says:

The good side of such (of what i feel is complete) crap is that it insites you, makes you wanna play the real instrument, to draw on the real paper–endless batteries, extremely high bit resolution, completely analogue etc..

3. To answer your question: Ambivalence–sorry if that was a rhetorical question.

4. Editz says:

Get back to me when they figure out a iOS bagpipe.

5. Andrés says:

Bad thing is: it sounds awful.

6. John Scalzi says:

You can get a perfectly serviceable uke new for, like, $40. I would recommend that.

7. noco87 says:

Sounds like skeletons f%^*ing in a dustbin

8. Avram Grumer says:

Is there a name for this category of software, apps that work across iPad and iPhone/iPod? There’s a painting app pair that does it too, with the main canvas app running on the iPad and the color-mixing palette app running on the smaller device.

9. Lemoutan says:

The rhythm heard bears only passing resemblance to her simpler up-and-down hand movements. All she really needs to do is select the chord with her left hand and the machine does the rest. Why pretend to strum? It’s clearly unnecessary.

10. Dignan17 says:

I had to stop this in the middle. While the technology at work here is pretty neat, I couldn’t stand the rhythm being off like that.

11. Ben Burger says:

hey I’ve got a crazy idea, how about you play a real ukulele?

12. woid says:

An exercise in Futulelity.

13. You know, not to toot my own horn too much, but my ukulele sim has been up a year,  doesn’t need two iDevices, has been totally ripped off by Smule, has a chord chart, lets me play along with my Gil Evans, has a happier soul, and actually is an interface innovation.

Just saying.

And I totally agree with the point about getting a $40 uke. All ukieshaker has going for it is portability.

14. do you guys ever write about mobile devices that are not Apple products?  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a non iPhone “apps for kids” or any other article about a new app tec that wasn’t Apple.