Canadian record industry demands SOPA-style censorship

8 Responses to “Canadian record industry demands SOPA-style censorship”

1. Marko Raos says:

The net effect of these measures is that I feel nauseous at the very thought of giving one red bloody cent to the  media industry, because I know what they’ll spend it on. The serpent needs to be strangled at its’ head. Once they loose their revenue they won’t be able to lobby for the destruction of internet and its freedoms. No matter how much I like a certain musician or want to see a certain movie, I’d feel dirty inside if I gave money to the likes of these orwellian clowns.
    Way to go combatting piracy, dinosaurs. See you in a couple of years. You’ll be homeless and I’ll be happily giving my money to some new kids on the block who will embrace the new technology rather than try to stomp it and the rest of the world into the ground.

2. Shinkuhadoken says:

The Conservatives won’t survive being the party that killed the Internet at the behest of Corporate America.

3. Hakuin says:

it would be nice to make a careful list of all Tory progeny and make damn sure that every single download they ever make for the rest of their lives meets the full force of this federal whoring to corporate greed.

4. Sarge Misfit says:

I hope we can do here what was done to SOPA in the States.

Or we’re screwed.

5. $6143719 says:

Lol. Really iPod tax ? Please explain that to me jean, jean shirt, and jean jacket wearing friends of the north.

• imaguid says:

we have a levy system where by we pay a levy on blank media to offset the ‘damage’ that private copying does to artists’ livelihoods. it’s already being collected for things like cassette tapes and CDs but ipods aren’t explicitly included. yet.

• $6143719 says:

Oh, geez. Just because I don’t wanna shell out $10 more dollars because my kid used my CD as a teething CD. They are lucky in the first place I bought the first copy.

I remember in the states something similar they tries to get off the ground. The rational for the levy was having the “luxury” your music copied and with you on a device.

• Mantissa128 says:

O Canada!
      Our iPod-levied land!
      True corporate love in all thy shills command
      With glowing screens we pay thee tithes,
      No music shall be free!
      From far and wide,
      CMPA, we bend over for thee.
      God help us all, this horrific levy
      CMPA, we bend over for thee.
      CMPA, we bend over for thee.