On knitting 50 life-sized bees

10 Responses to “On knitting 50 life-sized bees”

1. bcsizemo says:

They remind me of carpenter bees….and they are just starting to come out where I live.  I hate them almost as much as they hate me.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Carpenter bees? They’re so fat and have such tiny wings, you’d have to be restrained for one to land on you.

• Donald Petersen says:

I often encountered a carpenter bee near a telephone pole at the corner of my front yard when I was a kid.  Though it was big, black, scary, and sounded like a B-17 bomber when it buzzed over my head, it was never remotely aggressive (though seemed inquisitive), and I don’t remember ever encountering more than one at a time.

These knitted ones are amazing, though I can’t imagine how hard they must have been to make.  My fingers cramp and my eyes water just thinking about doing such fine work.

2. gws says:

I know nothing about knitting, but these bees look really good. The main picture brings back sad memories of my parents’ kitchen floor blanketed with dead bees, the result of a bee-handling mistake I will not make again. Never keep bees indoors, even if you’re pretty sure they can’t get out of the box.

3. Can us knitters get a bee pattern??

4. Carpeteria says:

These look great, but I mostly love the detail that they mysteriously “had” to be made, as if some cosmic force deemed them necessary to exist beyond the control of the creator herself.

THESE BEES MUST BE KNITTED IN THE SUM OF FIFTY; NO MORE, NO LESS.

5. Terry Tinker says:

Love them, love bees in general.  I know how much work this was, as I’m a knitter too.  Were they made for a specific project?

6. yogahz says:

From the Ravelry project page:

Life size honeybee, originally commissioned as a set of 50 for the Union Gallery in Edinburgh. 40% of each pattern sale will be donated to the Bumblebee Conservation Trust in the UK.

7. TimmoWarner says: