What's Opera, Doc? the mashup

23 Responses to “What's Opera, Doc? the mashup”

1. mmarlett says:

Hmm. It was already a very, very skilled mashup.

2. Hmm2. Not much there, is there? Try a mashup with the Hitler speech in Der Untergang.

3. Hal says:

4. gothicgeek says:

That added nothing to the classic Chuck Jones 1957 Bugs Bunny cartoon “What’s Opera, Doc?”

Nothing at all!

Except perhaps to dilute it ….

5. V says:

Is nothing sacred?

meh.

6. deeznuts says:

Wow. That kind of… sucked? Yes. “Sucked” is the word I believe I’m looking for.

7. pupdog says:

Internet is full of Grumpy Gusses today… I really like the original cartoon, but there’s room in the world for multiple interpretations.

And If all Mashups suck, I’m guessing you’re not a fan of the Hippity-Hop the kids are into with all the different noises?

8. whatshisname says:

Blasphemy!

9. franko says:

i adore mashups, worship this cartoon, and sadly i must agree — this did nothing for me. but i respect his love for the original cartoon that made him want to do this in the first place.

EDIT: also, i’ll submit that the Grey Album is a mashup, and that certainly does NOT suck.

• Donald Petersen says:

I’m not opposed to mashups if the end result is worth the effort.  Sometimes, as in the case of Beatallica, you end up with something both hugely entertaining and oddly thought-provoking and insightful about the source material (“Sandman” occurs to me off the top of my head).  Sure, not really a “mashup” in the pure sense, but I am old and in the way and largely ill-informed.

But this one didn’t do it for me.  Weird that the video took seven years after the music to cut together.

10. rob_cornelius says:

you cant improve on perfection. So WHY FUCKING BOTHER

On a less manic note I always wonder what the orchestra thought about recording the music for the original.

11. shutz says:

There are many mashups that I like.  Beatallica, mentioned by others here, is a great example.  There are many others.

But in this particular case, I, too, must say that this particular mashup just doesn’t do it for me.  It’s a credit to the original that the best bits are the ones that are left intact.  Otherwise, all it is is a bit of repetitive editing, with a simple drum ‘n bass track added, often badly mixed (it’s too loud compared with the singing.)  There are even moments when the added audio doesn’t really synch up with the original music, which just creates an annoying clash.

Take this mashup, for instance: Queen vs Genesis: We Will Rock You Mama  Now that’s an old mashup from the late 80′s that still sounds great today.

12. irksome says:

Nope, sorry. This is an abomination, bordering on blasphemy.

13. draghnfly says:

Nope. Not feeling the love.

14. Drew Gilmore says:

This is how you mashup Looney Toons, if you have to:

• Donald Petersen says:

Yup.  Much more interesting, much less irritating, and obviously took some thought and effort.  Would groove on again.

15. Brandon Kruse says:

The fucking gall to put your name on a title card shared by Michael Maltese and Maurice Noble!