Gweek 044: Sarah Vowell interviewed about her book, Unfamiliar Fishes

By Mark Frauenfelder

Gweek-044-600-Wide

In Gweek episode 044, I interviewed Sarah Vowell about her book Unfamiliar Fishes. It's a history of Hawaii between the time of the arrival of the first Christian missionaries and its annexation to the United States in the late 1890s.

Subscribe-RssSubscribe-ItunesCurrent-EpisodeStitcher-Logo-1

Published 4:10 pm Mon, Mar 19, 2012

About the Author

Mark Frauenfelder is the founder of Boing Boing and the founding editor-in-chief of MAKE. He is editor-in-chief of Cool Tools and co-founder of Wink Books. Twitter: @frauenfelder. His new book is Maker Dad: Lunch Box Guitars, Antigravity Jars, and 22 Other Incredibly Cool Father-Daughter DIY Projects

7 Responses to “Gweek 044: Sarah Vowell interviewed about her book, Unfamiliar Fishes”

1. LogrusZed says:

SV is one of my random crushes.

• Jonathan Badger says:

That’s news? She’s a random crush of *every* geeky guy. Also what isn’t exactly news is Unfamiliar Fishes — it’s been out for months. Not bad though, although not quite as good as Wordy Shipmates.

• Mark_Frauenfelder says:

It’s new in paperback, which I mention in the beginning of the podcast.

• p johnson says:

Sorry but ‘Assassination Vacation’ is IMESHO her best work to date.

• Eric Hunt says:

Us random gay geeky guys have a crush on her, too! My partner and I listened to the Unfamiliar Fishes audiobook on our move from SF to Little Rock this past summer.

I am still amazed she was the music critic for the Bay Guardian in SF for a short time.

2. Michael Pusateri says:

Good discussion. I saw Sarah speak in Pasadena during the release tour with Jesse Thorne and I still learned new things in this podcast.