Art That Goes Bang: Cai Guo-Qiang's Gunpowder Paintings

16 Responses to “Art That Goes Bang: Cai Guo-Qiang's Gunpowder Paintings”

1. Maj Variola says:

FYI gunpowder burns, it does not detonate.  It burns faster under pressure, and can rupture containers, but it is not a brisant material.

2. The wolf piece is both beautiful and the stuff of nightmares……

3. Joel Finkle says:

It’s beautiful stuff – I ran into it a little over a year ago at the Nice, France Museum of Modern Art. I imagine it’s even better to see it being made live — there’s a video of the process running continuously in the gallery.

4. Lobster says:

I’d like to imagine that on the other end of the wolf thing is a mannequin with a “wolf hose,” spraying wolves at things.

5. Navin_Johnson says:

I’ve always noticed the sometimes beautiful burn marks that fireworks make on the sidewalk.  Clever to do that, but do it BIG!

6. Talia says:

I had the opportunity to view his stuff, including the wolf piece, when NY’s Guggenheim hosted a retrospective a few years back. Pretty interesting stuff (and the building itself was a great exhibition space for it. One of his installations, a bunch of full-sized white cars with neon lighting, was hanging from the ceiling… very dramatic). Neat to hear about how he puts these larger works together. :)

7. easy mo drew says:

Great Article! I’ve always been impressed Cai Guo-Qiang’s use of volunteers, what a great way to experience art!

He was also in charge of choreographing the firework displays at the Beijing olympics.

The Art21 episode “Power” has a great interview with him and is available for free (at least in the US) on their website.

8. Fenrox says:

OMG, that wolf art is SO FUNNY. I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!

9. I love Cai Guo-Qiang. Recently he created the largest ever daytime ‘ Explosion Event’ by utilizing microchip-controlled explosives to form incredible designs and patterns with great colours.

10. KaleoK says:

Neither interesting nor beautiful.

11. Wow! What an amazing adventure!  The result is very beautiful.

12. At one of his exhibitions, I was on the “tamping out fire” team and had the honour to extinguish his wife who had lit material fall on her back. The piece at this time was vertical. I was working on a high section with a cloth covered broom. Fun times!