How To: Pack for a European Vacation

20 Responses to “How To: Pack for a European Vacation”

1. Hanglyman says:

“10 shirts…” And already, on the first item, it’s equal to or more than the entirety of what I took to Europe for a trip lasting 2 months.

2. voiceinthedistance says:

Strange that the yodeling alarm clock and toothbrush were the only items that seem to pass the test of time.

3. Christopher says:

I once made a weekend trip across Britain, from Grantham to Laugharne, with the clothes I was wearing and a backpack that held a bag of apples, a notebook, and the collected poems of Dylan Thomas. And I think I could have gone at least a week with all that if I hadn’t been required to be back.

The only part of that trip I consider poorly planned was not knowing that the bus would drop me off in Laugharne half an hour after the Dylan Thomas museum, which was my whole reason for going, had closed.

4. Bram says:

At least he’s ready to make a Manhattan.

5. Jonathan Badger says:

Was Fielding under the impression that Europe somehow didn’t have alcohol for sale and therefore he needed to bring his own? I understand the change of clothes in an era where wearing the same clothes to dinner that you had been walking around in all day wasn’t socially acceptable, but why the booze?

6. LOL! Preordered!

My parents used to drag me all over Europe, Central America, and the Caribbean on business trips throughout the 70s. By the time I was 12, I was jaded by the whole thing, and from that point on I actively resisted visiting even the next city over. I’m only just coming out of my overload now that I’m in my 40s, and the desire to go experience different atmospheres is on the rise.

• toyg says:

Opposite outcomes here. My parents did drag me all over Europe (on holiday), in a VW camper van (ah, the 80s), and now I live abroad and I think I’m really happy only when I’m driving on a motorway or up some mountain road. When I fly to the other side of the planet it feels like I’m bloody cheating.

7. Ilya says:

One of my favorite old-book finds is a Baedeker’s Egypt from 1904. In addition to having utterly awesome fold-out tomb maps that would be at home in any AD&D module, it gave instructions for figuring out how many servants and porters you will require, based on the size of your family and types of excursions planned. As I recall, it was also quite particular about the types of boots you should have made before you go.

8. tyger11 says:

Ah, lounging in a robe, wearing sealskin slippers, listening to Sinatra while slowly getting buzzed. That’s civilization, people. Anything less, and the terrorists have won.

9. TimRowledge says:

I read that list to my wife. She considers it a terrible example of under packing. Where is the raincoat? The formal overcoat to go with the suits? The hiking gear – tough clothes, boots (2 pr), walking stick, backpack, etc?

10. blueelm says:

I still pack like this, well minus the liquor. I don’t get it. I mean add more shoes to that because there are street shoes and dress shoes. I thought I was doing a good job to limit myself to one or two color schemes.

• ROSSINDETROIT says:

Black and white.  I spent 2 weeks in GB well dressed in only black and white.  When everything matches, redundancy is reduced and it all goes in one (admittedly huge) suitcase.

• penguinchris says:

And you look like you’re going to a funeral every day, so that’s useful too.

With a bit of thought it’s not hard to come up with a simple, small, versatile, yet fairly colorful wardrobe for traveling that all goes together – with no black required :)

11. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Now I’ve GOT to have a yodeling alarm clock RIGHT NOW and my birthday’s not for three months. I mean, who doesn’t want to wake up to yodeling?

12. siloxane says:

ten shirts, ten ties, ten pairs of undershorts,… eight pairs of socks

I don’t get it.