To avoid a return to work, an unemployed Austrian man apparently sawed his own foot off. [Reuters]

14 Responses to “Disability insurance”

1. Kevin Pierce says:

Tobe Hooper Presents: Austria Chainsaw Pedicure  Coming soon!

2. Tom says:

Honestly, I’m glad people like this aren’t in the workforce. I can’t even come up with any hyperbole to illustrate the point. Imagine working in the cubicle next to him when he finds out there’s a new TPS coversheet?

3. What kind of lazy bastard can’t be bothered to use a proper hand saw to cut— oh.

4. Cluisanna says:

I am at the moment suffering from a major depression, and I can absolutely understand this. I don’t know if mental illness was behind this action, but if I had to work at the moment I’d probably rather harm myself.

5. Lobster says:

The guy couldn’t find a better way to do this?  Literally EVERYTHING in Australia is poisonous.

6. Nathan Bibb says:

I am sure there is a mental issue that I should be sensitive to here, but all I can hear in my head is this Kids in the Hall skit about “Mama Compensation”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkwL8QOYWbk
    “Gimme your hand! [Ka-CHUNK Ka-CHUNK!]“

7. elix says:

This is reminiscient of the rash of suspicious limb amputations in the 1960s in a small town in Florida, with >50 incidents in a town of 500. They always seemed to lose the limb they least needed.

8. CognitiveDissident says:

Look, it wasn’t his fault, he was staying in an evil old shack in the woods that made him do it!

He kept kicking himself in the head, so Ash J. Wilhems got even, and cut off the wrong, I mean right foot.

9. biggga says:

definitely better than having to deal with those boobs at the labor office – i somehow understand ^^

10. TheMudshark says:

According to local newspapers he actually did it with a self-made sawing device – he´s a maker!!!

Furthermore, this is going to do nothing to change his situation, as disability benefits are expressly not to be granted in case of self-mutilation.