I've been satisfied with the Stanley FuBar demolition tool that Mark reviewed in 2008 (available in safety yellow!), but I am sorely tempted by the Annihilator Wrecking Bar, which sports all the same features as the FuBar, along with a bottle-opener, a board-straightener, a "multi-purpose nail-puller," a demolition axe, and a chisel. Plus, it's called THE ANNIHILATOR. John Scalzi's bought one for his kid to use for zombie-defense training.

Dead On Tools AN14 Annihilator Wrecking Bar, 14-Inch tools,zombies,gadgets,total destruction the only solution Discuss

49 Responses to “Annihilator: a multifunction demolition tool”

1. Steve Hoefer says:

It’s one hell of a tool (I’ve got one, bought primarily because it looks badass) but there’s something about having it in your hands that it feels much more like a weapon than a tool. When I hold a crowbar I think “Man, I can get into some serious prying and jimmying with this!”  When I hold onto this I think “The damage this would do to a living (or undead) creature is spectacular!”  It kind of creeps me out, like it’s whispering those thoughts to me…

2. Chris Lawrence says:

How much demolition do you do as a sci-fi author Cory?

• lyd says:

He does all of his demolition as a sci-fi author.

• Anon_Mahna says:

Science fiction authors destroy entire worlds before breakfast…

• billstewart says:

Good advice to science fiction writers says never to destroy the planet early in your book if you might need it later, or even need it in a sequel.  On the other hand, if you’re careful, you can get away with it.

3. doggo says:

Is there a metric version?

4. Duncan Margetts says:

Does anyone actually buy bottles that require an opener any more?

5. Jennifer Torkkola says:

I used it to destroy a wooden deck.  It’s super effective!

6. Nagurski says:

All sizzle, no steak.

7. lorq says:

It also sucks out the souls of your enemies.

• Finnagain says:

And it would never do that to its owner. Never.. Unless that were the last soul to be devoured. Then all bets are off.

8. bcsizemo says:

I bought the Dead-On Exhumer EX8 and I was not impressed with it.  The steel is much softer than what I would expect, and the angles don’t seem to work well for certain type of nails.

For demo work I picked up the standard Stanley WonderBar X21.  Sure it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles, but it’s fairly long, and is more than strong enough to allow me to apply all of my 200+lbs to it.

That couple with a basic reciprocating saw and hammer and I can debuild most things around the house.

9. RJ says:

Dead On makes a whole line of fanciful tools, all suitable for adolescent boys and zombie fetishists.
    Also, at the time of this writing, the 14″ Annihilator costs $35, while a 48″ wrecking bar from Ames or Union Tools runs about $20. That may not be totally fair to compare the two; large wrecking bars/crowbars are meant for much harder jobs than smaller pry bars or multitools. I’m just saying that if you’re worried about personal protection and somehow can’t get a nice, big machete, you’d do better with over a meter of solid, old-fashioned steel than some goofy hammer with a bottle opener on it.

10. Chuck says:

Will there be any issues going through airport security with this?

11. Drew Rickett says:

I have one in the trunk of my car with all of my other tools.  I tried to use it to build a fence section and had to break down and get a framing hammer after the 14th time I smacked my thumb.  It had no trouble dismantling the section of fence I needed to repair though.  And the bottle opener is great!  Because nothing’s safer than drinking and wielding a 3 pound (1.361 kg) tool of destruction, amirite?

12. sickkid1972 says:

Tack on Bluetooth and we’ll talk…

13. Joe Seatter says:

Can you play racquetball with it?

14. Daneel says:

This is what you need for the zombie apocalypse. Specifically designed with it in mind.

15. Preston Sturges says:

Harbor Freight has some very nice fire axes that would fill the bill for zombie demolition.

But on Z-Day I’ll probably have a 4 foot piece of 1″ iron pipe. Besides the quarterstaff tactics, the advantage there is the ability to dynamically fend off and keep moving without getting grabbed

16. Frank Diekman says:

The name of this tool must be said in an Arnold Schwarzeneggar voice.

17. Scott Smith says:

But does it have an elbow moistener?

Hmmph. I thought not.

18. pjcamp says:

So you can beat down a house and a zombie without spilling your beer? How very American of you.

19. icrow says:

Saw this at the big North Island A&P show, and it is awesome.  Splits knotty logs, digs holes through rocks, tree roots, masonry walls, etc. — they were using them after the Christchurch earthquake to get through the rubble.

20. Mordicai says:

Print, attach to character sheet, have the most badass cleric anybody has ever seen.

21. Anon_Mahna says:

I was looking at one of these the other day.  It doesn’t give me a good feeling.  I could see that Y shape vibrating like hell and giving some odd striking.  I’ll stick with my 36″ bostich (which I lovingly call “Steely Moses” for it’s resemblance to a shepherd’s crook) and my faithful estwing hammer.

22. Rickenbacker4001 says:

This will be perfect for my 8 year old daughter. She just started on her halberd skills. Thrust, pull back, slice. Your welcome sweetie….

23. billstewart says:

Mira Grant sleeps with a machete under her bed.  She thinks you should too.   Rise up while you still can!