American 20th century food fads, decade-by-decade

15 Responses to “American 20th century food fads, decade-by-decade”

1. Neill "Dire" Mitchell says:

The mid 90′s called, they wondered when they might get their webpages back?

2. Lobster says:

Mm mm, olive jello!

3. cjporkchop says:

Oh, bother. I really wanted to get some things done today, but that is exactly the kind of site I can disappear into for hours on end.

4. WadeHarman says:

I couldn’t imagine eating in the 20′s!  The way I enjoy food now, I couldn’t imagine eating it any other way!

5. Teknad says:

It would be cool doing a visual timeline (as a slideshow or a scroll) of all those fads of the past using photos like the one above this post.

6. Summer Seale says:

*points to the photo with a bony hand, whispering* “The tuna mousse!”

7. Eric Hunt says:

I did click over and, well, the information was presented in what I like to call “Classic College Academic” format:

Lots of references and links to original sources, very little synthesis for the casual reader into a text containing anything even remotely interesting or easy to read.

If you’re really into food history, the article is awesome. If you’re just surfing, it’s a big fat TL;DR.

I stayed about 45  seconds.

• hexmonkey says:

The site owner is Lynne Olver, who is listed in a link on that page as from the Reference Services of Morris County Library in NJ.

8. Stefan Jones says:

Mmmmmm, Down East Sardine Mold!

Nothing says “hospitality and elegance” like a dozen chopped eggs and five cans of sardines embedded in a ring of gelatin.

9. redesigned says:

why is that white pneumatic tire surrounding that delicious looking tomato salad.
    (what is it? i am horrified and intrigued…)

10. jeligula says:

There is no way that this could be accurate.  As we all know, food companies released many of their own “cookbooks” that pushed new and very unusual ways to utilize their products, hoping in vain that they would take off.  Almost all of them were ill advised to say the least, as proven by that aspic and tomato travesty posted here.  Very few people followed these recipes, and if they did, it was only once.

• hexmonkey says:

You might want to contact that site’s owner to discuss your opinion; apparently it was compiled by a librarian from the Reference Services of Morris County Library in NJ.