Fallout for free

7 Responses to “Fallout for free”

1. RJ says:

I have Fallout and Fallout 2 on original CD’s. They remain some of the best games I’ve ever played. That’s great that the first one is free now. More old games ought to be left in the public domain; it would likely inspire a lot of independent developers and lead to generally better and better games for all of us.

2. penguinchris says:

I wiped my Bootcamp partition because Team Fortress 2 runs on OS X now and because I haven’t played a Windows game since… Fallout New Vegas, actually.

I’ve been wanting to play the original Fallout games since they were originally out – I remember reading about them in the computer game magazines and thinking they looked awesome, but for whatever reason I never played them (I was 11 in 1997 so maybe I was a dumb kid, but Half-Life came out in ’98 and I rarely played anything but FPS’ for a few years after that). I played Fallout 3 and loved it, and New Vegas as well, which reignited my interest in the originals.

But I don’t have a Windows install around anymore. I feel like with a 2D game like this, we should be at the point where you can play it with some sort of emulation scheme (like DOSBox or ScummVM) but unless you count full virtualization of Windows I don’t think it’s possible yet. I’d love it if someone could tell me I’m wrong. In the mean time maybe I’ll see if I can get a Windows install up and running on an old computer.

3. louiedog says:

@penguinchris:disqus  You could try Wine for OSX. Fallout gets a platinum rating which means it should work well.

• penguinchris says:

Yeah I was just in the shower thinking about all the inane comments I wrote this morning and had a huge “D’OH!” moment when I realized that Wine would probably work!  I’ve got it set up and working on my computer already and everything.

• Jesseham says:

So maybe one of you can help me get the mouse working when running under Wine?  Everything else appears to work perfectly, but the mouse will only work in about 1/4 of the screen – like it hits an invisible wall that moves around based on where it was when the program opens.

I used wineskin to make the uh, wineskin, if that matters. I’m using USB overdrive and a logitech mouse.  I tried disabling USB overdrive, but not the stock mouse. (not sure where it is…)  OSX 10.6.8

Thanks!

4. Jesseham says:

When I saw the title of this article, I teared up a little.  I’ve been waiting for this day for so long.