The Simpsons' Springfield named for Springfield, Oregon

32 Responses to “The Simpsons' Springfield named for Springfield, Oregon”

1. Christopher says:

When we heard this on the radio this morning the first thing my wife said was, “That must have been a really long drive to the World’s Fair in Knoxville.”

That’s the sort of comment that, if I needed it, would remind me why I married her.

2. mesocosm says:

It was already explained in the Simpsons movie – Springfield is near the Four Corners, where Ohio, Nevada, Maine, and Kentucky meet.

3. Mark Dow says:

Shelbyville Rules!

4. Guest says:

He totally made that up

5. A Nonny Moose says:

While it was named for Springfield, OR, that doesn’t mean it is Springfield, OR. Of course that hasn’t prevented anybody from using completely inaccurate headlines like “Matt Groening Reveals the Location of Springfield”.

• JMB98115 says:

I’ve seen enough episodes to know that The Simpsons’ do not live in a W. Oregon climatic zone.

Springfield, Midwest.

6. bo1n6bo1n6 says:

I won a long standing bet today… I live right next to Springfield,Oregon in Shelbyville and it IS a strange land over there…

7. MollyMaguire says:

Oh wow, being from Portland, I just always knew this was the case and I thought Groening confirmed this long ago.

8. Same here, MollyMaguire

9. momus_98 says:

“In anticipation of the success of the show, I thought, “This will be cool; everyone will think it’s their Springfield.” And they do.”

I like The Simpsons, but I’m very, very much a casual viewer. However, “in anticipation of the success of the show”? I doubt Groening and Co. in 1989 could have even *imagined* how successful their short skits on The Tracy Ullman Show would become.

Methinks he was just tired of trying to find a suitable answer to the question.

• Christopher says:

I agree that he couldn’t be certain the show was going to be successful, but I was in college when it first aired. The night of the Christmas special (which I think served as a pilot episode) every dorm’s TV room was packed, as was the student union which had a big screen television. During a commercial break I went to the bathroom and passed several rooms that had televisions, all tuned to the same thing.

If that was any indication then Groening and Co. had reason to believe they had a hit.

• momus_98 says:

Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but the show’s intent has always been about the gags, humor, and theme of each episode; that it took place in “Springfield” doesn’t matter and it never did. I think the show’s intent was to represent “Anywhere, USA”, except Anywhere sucks as a town name.

I doubt Groening & Co. really cared or gave serious thought to the “where exactly” portion of the Springfield Equation.

• grimc says:

The point of the story isn’t that Groening modeled one Springfield after another, just that he needed a name and took it from a town in Oregon.

I don’t quite understand why so many people continue to deny the connection when the man himself confirms it. It’s not that big of a deal, certainly not to anyone who knows Portland and Oregon. Terwilliger, Lovejoy, Flanders, Quimby–Groening has used a number of pretty locally well-known PDX streets for characters names. That ‘Springfield’ comes from Eugene’s ugly sister is no surprise.

10. unaboomer says:

(i dont know why)Im slightly bothered by this and I dont know how to express myself.
    I guess It doesnt matter much now that the Simpsons has been awful for like 14 seasons or more.

11. ksmanning says:

What I don’t get is what in the world Groenig is talking about.  Springfield Oregon is not next to Portland.  It’s next to Eugene, a hundred miles away.

12. Halloween_Jack says:

I still favor the One Springfield Theory, which postulates that there is only one city/town named Springfield, period. (Yes, including the one that has Lincoln’s house and tomb in it.)

13. TaymonBeal says:

I don’t understand why everyone thinks this is news. The Wikipedia article has had this piece of information for years.

14. afs97209 says:

Springfield was also the name of the setting the old CBS soap opera “Guiding Light.”

15. Dey Walt says:

Check out  the real Springfield, Oregon in Wolfram Burner’s pic in the BoingBoing Flickr pool.