Creating graphics for the Yellow Pages, 1970s-style

26 Responses to “Creating graphics for the Yellow Pages, 1970s-style”

1. goldenearth says:

It’s funny, the art of physically pasting up small town and university newspapers would last another 15 years past 1977 – and the new wave of computer-generated type and lay-out wouldn’t be perfected for another 16-18 years (see Photoshop and Pagemaker) after that. I love looking at old pasted up papers like the Berkeley Barb and (the most beautiful paper ever) The San Francisco Oracle – it’s nice to get type and photos all perfect and lined-up, but an independent publication always needs to have a spirit to it – this video shows how far off ATT was from that spirit. Anyway, the Yellow Pages weren’t meant to be pretty, only functional.

2. The ad she makes is not very good. If she was my employee and made me THAT ad, I would fire her. To the bread line!

3. mkultra says:

I started using Aldus Pagemaker in ’86… only 8 years after this video was shot. Compared to paste-ups, it was a whole new ballgame.

4. Antinous / Moderator says:

When I was a revolutionary, I spent many hours slicing up little pieces of text and waxing them down.  At least I got to tell people that I worked as a stripper.

5. crummett says:

What are “Yellow Pages?”

6. JPW says:

Now THAT’S a soundtrack! Compared the dainty “Apple” style music behind almost every commercial these days, the theme at 2:09 means business.

7. Adam Smith says:

just curious, does anyone still use fireworks?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I do. If I just want to resize a graphic or something, I can do it in Fireworks before Photoshop is finished booting up.

• teapot says:

What kind of setup/version are you running?

Cs4 starts up on my 3+ year old desktop running XP in about 5 seconds.

8. Allen Crider says:

Old green analog display of that makeup! The very first laser imagesetter was made by Monotype and came out in 1976. The first bitmapped display was the Xerox star in 1981, with laser printers and a page description language that predated PostScript. All for too much money! I loved doing paste up in the old days and got very good at it. But I’m thankful I got a job at Linotype right before desktop publishing came around.

• Tore Sinding Bekkedal says:

The first bitmapped display was most certainly not the Xerox Star! It may well have been the first workstation to use the bitmap as its main user interface or fit into some such definition, but I’ve personally quite recently serviced an early-1970s VT-30 bitmap unit used in a flight simulator.

9. notasheep says:

Systems like this were so quickly outmoded by commodity computers. That is the triumph of the 1980s. Specialized systems were replicated by commercial software and peripherals, and off the shelf operating systems.

In the late 1980s I used to paste up a community newspaper before I learned page layout software. The woman who set it for me ran a laser printer on an IBM system From her home. In a little over 10 years this million dollar system was as affordable as a car.

10. Bad Juju says:

Mmm, Cerberus. The folks that deftly ran Chrysler & GMAC Financial. What could possibly go wrong?

11. Tore Sinding Bekkedal says:

Awesome video. But am I the only one who thinks the voiceover sounds like Asian correspondent Trisha Takanawa?

12. Cicada Mania says:

Kudos to AT&T for putting these videos online, particularly Dan R.

13. hexmonkey says:

That looks like some incredibly bad ergonomic design. I wonder how soon that woman developed neck and shoulder pain from having the monitor so high up…