13 Responses to “Explore the twists and turns of the Chislehurst Caves on Obscura Day, April 28, 2012”

1. jon_anon says:

I am totally intrigued by the notion of a “self-made” cave. Pls elaborate!

• randompasserby says:

I would suspect that by “self made” it means completely made/dug out by humans instead of being natural occurring underground spaces found and used/extended by humans. I’m no expert just a casual caver.

• jon_anon says:

That is disappointing, I had hoped it meant that the cave excavated itself. Like it started as a little concavity in the wall with Big Dreams about becoming a gaping negative space.
        This us of “self” is a bit off, no? I mean you’d hope that a self-assembling robot means one that assembles itself, not one that you have to assemble, amiright?

2. s2redux says:

The purpose of Obscura Day is to get people all over the world going out to explore the curious places near them, on one day.

So, invite a couple of folks to make a trip into my basement on the 28th and I’m good; I like easy.

3. Wreckrob8 says:

Some believe there is supposedly a ghost too.

4. Jose says:

When I was at TED in February, I told Joshua Foer, (author of Moonwalking With Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything) about the Chislehurst Canes near London…
    The caves sound fascinating, but do tell us more about these canes.  Are they made of candy?

5. tw1515tw says:

You’ve just reminded me that I once met someone who hired the caves for their 18th birthday party.

6. Wow! What other unusual places did Joshua found?

7. Another section of it is still used for LARPing: http://www.labyrinthe.co.uk/introduction/

Still have fond memories of blowing all my pocket money on a cork-firing crossbow and getting my archer character to level 4 down there :)