What is a smart grid and why should you care?

10 Responses to “What is a smart grid and why should you care?”

1. Pedantic Douchebag says:

I used the name “smart grid” for a failed project back in college; it involved an interactive house. Sensors would detect whether a human was in a room, and adjust the electricity (turn it on/off from the breaker), lighting, and climate control. We could never get it to work; it was the early 90s, and the technology just wasn’t up to our needs. My professor was hilarious, though; she said “wow, that’s some Jetsons shit, guys”. I could have been another Edison.

Anyway. Sorry! Did you you want fries with that?

2. Saif Ansari says:

It’s wrong that I immediately thought you were talking about DataGrids. I desperately need to stop writing code for IT shops…

3. Stefan Jones says:

I brought up smart grids with some friends.

One, who apparently gets all his information from Fox, went into a rant about how it’s designed to arbitrarily pull the power from ordinary people’s homes.

That was the point of the whole exercise, as far as he was concerned. End of discussion.

Urggggnnnggghhh.

4. Hugh Gurin says:

While it doesn’t cover the entire topic, check out this little animation we did on smarter energy grid tech. It’s got Ed Begley, Jr. AND ponies.

5. Bilsko says:

“…Today’s electrical grid, [Koerth-Baker] says, is something of a high-wire act…”
    Or, as a colleague of mine likes to put it:
    Trying to control power flows actively on the grid is like driving down the highway at 60mph in reverse – without a rear-view mirror.

6. anharmyenone says:

Just as long as the “smartness” is decentralized…because the last thing we need is to create something that centralizes power even more than now.

7. 64k a Day says:

If this is going to take more taxes, I know how 49% of the nation will react.

8. As a battery backup sales/design tech, I am really interested in how home battery backup systems are going to participate in a smart grid.  There’s a really cool one being developed in the San Diego area that will use inverter chargers, a battery bank and PV in every home, all linked to a control center that will work to smooth out demand spikes and pay consumers for their batteries when they are drawn down.  We bid on the project, but unfortunately they went with a higher cost but local Californian company.