Asymmetrical makeup face split-and-flip image

22 Responses to “Asymmetrical makeup face split-and-flip image”

1. mat catastrophe says:

This is only really slightly interesting and even then, really only the first ten or thousand times.

• Mark_Frauenfelder says:

“This is only really slightly interesting”

As opposed to your comment, which is scintillating.

• mat catastrophe says:

The level of scintillation in my commentary is directly proportional to the level of interest to be found in the source material.

I mean, if you’re still really fascinated by facial symmetry and silly photoshop tricks, that’s fine. But I’d rather find that on fark.com, where I expect to find things that are ever so slightly banal.

I guess as long as the “artist” was wearing a black sweater or a beret while he did the work on those images, it’s all good.

2. Eileen says:

The reflection looks terribly angled, the natural portrait (no-makeup) is wider at top and significantly narrower at bottom (the paper behind her does not have parallel edges) making her face look disproportionate. Whereas the makeup portrait flairs outward at the bottom, making a more rounded jaw line and fuller lips. Neither one is a particularly accurate nor a true reflection of either side of her face.

• Mark_Frauenfelder says:

“Neither one is a particularly accurate nor a true reflection of either side of her face.”

I’ll bet you could do a better job. Please post your results.

3. ChicagoD says:

Wait, I thought we were voting.

4. Keith Tyler says:

Flip-faces are inherently flawed as representations of the whole face. No one’s face is symmetrical. Try mirroring either side of your own face, neither will look right.

Her eyes are not different. But her right (our left) one is made up heavily with dark eyeshadow and eyeliner.

Notice a line is added above the epicanthal fold to make it look like that is the size of her eye (but the eyelashes belie the truth). They also use eyeliner to bring the inside of her eye closer to the bridge, again to make it look larger, and then a faded eyeshadow on the other side to make it blend in with her face.

BTW, I am Keiek Tylyt, president of Kradedark.

5. jsandin says:

I tried it with a scary photo of John Brown last year…..with both sides of his face.  The results weren’t nearly as scary as the original:

6. Kevin Pierce says:

Would facial recognition software recognize them as being the same person?

7. MandoZink says:

For decades I have been in the habit of covering up one, then the other, side of a face I find intriguing. Most often one half of a person’s face will project a very different feeling or personality than the other. Try it.

8. If I didn’t know these were split-and-flips, I’d think they were CGI.

Perfect symmetry is very “uncanny valley”.

9. Bad Juju says: