Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, The Sugarhill Gang

PREV • INDEXNEXT

Read the rest of the Hip Hop Family Tree comics!

If you're in the Pittsburgh area April 27, 2012, I'm going to be giving a presentation at Carnegie Mellon University at Baker Hall, 4:30pm-5:30pm. Click the pic below for the Facebook Event page for more info.

15 Responses to “Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, The Sugarhill Gang”

1. terry childers says:

neat! i can probably make that!

2. Kevin Pierce says:

At first glance, I saw the spit drops as teeth, and thought, “Ed, calm the fuck down”. (and have some vitamin C)

3. Nick Marino says:

Ahhhhhhhhhh man, it makes me sad reading this one. Caz got ripped off so bad!!!

4. Hamish Grant says:

Sugarhill gang in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diiL9bqvalo

5. thedefog says:

I still can’t believe Big Stank Hank used the rhyme with Cassanova’s name in it like that without even changing it. Pretty dumb.

6. Art says:

I absolutely love the artwork!

7. What a treasure this series is. How wonderful that it is on BB. Pure morning deliciousness. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I’m really looking forward to the origins of PE and NWA getting this loving treatment. And dammit, there should be some kind of hip hop legacy fund foundation giving Piskor shitloads of cash just because. You hear me Simmons?

8. Dave X says:

This is the most wonderful thing on BB ever.

9. CJR says:

The family tree is missing the forgotten father of hip-hop, Pigmeat Markham who was rapping in 1968…

• Ed Piskor says:

The whole “Family Tree” idea is about direct relationships. Kool Herc is the most logical place to start. If we fall down the rabbithole of documenting influences, it will add about 600 pages to the story.

10. bibulb says:

Please tell me you’re going to collect these into a book some day.

11. I have always wondered why they chose the name Sugarhill. Was miss Sylvia a big fan of SugarHill Studios? They were a pretty influential studio at the time and had just done some work for Todd Rundgren and Ted Nugent at the time?

I’m guessing it was just a coincidence.