Ma'amite is Jubilee Marmite

42 Responses to “Ma'amite is Jubilee Marmite”

1. Glad to hear you like Marmite Cory!  It’s a choosey product amongst the locals, outsiders generally treat it as an alien substance.

The extra strong variety is the best, it’s actually just the old Marmite, when it was less runny.

• Christopher says:

At an Australia Day festival where I live I was offered a cracker spread with Marmite. I was told, “Because you’re an American you probably won’t like this.”

The young man who offered it to me was quite surprised when I said, “Hey, that’s really good. Could I please have another?” And then I bought three jars since, at the time, the annual Australia Day festival was the only place I knew to buy Marmite.

Luckily now my local grocery carries it in their “International” section. I don’t think they carry the extra strong variety, though. I should request that.

2. Stooge says:

Let me help you with that smile, Cory: think of it as Royal Thrush Paste.

3. I order, at increasingly great expense, the limited edition 4X strength marmite of a few years ago. ACCEPT NOTHING LESS.

4. beemoh says:

I can’t smile at it, as I know it there’s Marmite behind that label.

5. mobobo says:

great bit of marketing (gods I hate myself for saying that) – and yes the monarchy should be kept in cages, bred (inter – as normal) periodically and forced to cage fight to the death; with pay per view tickets sold worldwide to fix the UK cash money shortage…but what is all this weird Marmite machismo going on? 2x, 4x where will it end?

6. scruss says:

Great; two things together that make me retch.

7. ashypete says:

I know that Marmite was, at least originally, a by-product of brewing process but I was wondering: is the yeast in Marmite “spent” or “dead” or is it still “alive”? I’ve heard of people using it for making bread & their home brews which is why I ask.

8. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

Something doesn’t sound right about the subtitle on the label, “100% British Yeast”

9. show me says:

We have a small shop in our historic Main Street section where I live that sells all things imported from Britain and I tried Marmite and loved it! Time to get some more…

10. Anne Onimos says:

I predict that until http://www.republic.org.uk can make a readable webpage, they will continue to find it difficult to convince anyone.

11. Brood-X says:

Ma’amite: “100% British yeast”

Since when does yeast have a nationality and are they subjects of the Queen?

12. niktemadur says:

“… He just smiled and gave me a marmite sandwich.”

Yeah, it’ll work, where do I sign up?

13. suburbanhick says:

One of my university housemates was Australian, and her mother used to send her bottles of Marmite and Vegemite in ‘care packages’. I saw it in the ‘fridge and tried some on toast once – hey, it was in a bottle and I was hungry – Lord, I thought I’d eaten fermented cat shit that someone had put in there as a cruel practical joke.

14. JhmL says:

English things I’ll never understand: Marmite, Cricket, Carry On -films.

15. TheRealAbeFruman says:

Don’t let an Aussie hear you say that!

16. szikratigris says:

But but but… according to protocol, ‘ma’am’ is correctly pronounced ‘mam’, not ‘marm’, I believe. So this makes no bloody sense at all. Bit like the monarchy really.

17. jellyfishattack says:

I guess it’s an acquired taste, like a good haggis.

18. bloodybl says:

I love Marmite. But seriously, all they’ve done is made a ‘Bovril’ Jar. That advertising company is really earning its keep!