18 Responses to “Seed of Yggdrasil: nifty 3d-printed sculpture based on Celtic-style knot in Norse mythology”

1. Steve Reid says:

This a pretty intricate model you’ve printed.   What printer did you use to get such fine detail?  Have you heard of the 3D Printing Pad
    http://www.3dprintingpad.com/.  It has all the 3D printers on the market right now personal use and it compares them.  I wonder how many of them can print something like this!

• Joaquin Baldwin says:

Thanks, that’s a cool site. I just uploaded it on Shapeways.com, I don’t have a 3D printer of my own. But I definitely want one :)

2. Steve Pan says:

That is one fucked up looking penis

3. Genuinely impressive, but I think photographing it next to a cat was a bad PR move. Everything looks less impressive next to a cat. :)

• niktemadur says:

Well I call totally gratuitous and senseless cattery here, like chicks in bikinis touting spark plugs and oil filters.

4. EvilTerran says:

Might just be my red/green colorblindness talking, but the knotty bit looks like delicious pretzel to me…

Incidentally, for those interested in Celtic knotwork (and other Celtic art), I highly recommend George Bain’s book – it covers the different styles very well, and details the methods he determined for recreating the Celtic art style. They’re not the simplest instructions, and he does tend towards dense pages of tiny-text-labelled diagrams, but it’s very exhaustive. It’s enjoyable to flick through even if you don’t plan on drawing any, IMO:

5. GabyYYZ says:

I KNEW IT!  We are all just a dainty treat for a cosmic cat.

6. Svejk says:

Dudes, Celtic is not Norse.

New Age Celts and Norse revivalists are going to come after you, and trust me there’s a good chance they will play their music at you and you don’t want that.

• Tarliman says:

Speaking as a Neopagan of more or less Celtic tradition, I think this is a damn cool sculpture and a good use of symbolism from both Celtic and Norse traditions. However, if the sculptor wants to listen to Faun or Omnia or Damh the Bard, I’m willing to share.

• Joaquin Baldwin says:

That’s why I described it as “Celtic-style”, to protect myself from the backlash of purists. If they get violent I’ll play some Enya for them.

7. bklynchris says:

my daughter just said in a hushed tone with eyes wide…”the brown seed pod thingy looks like lady parts”.  My response, “yes, celtic lady parts”.  so proud of her. giggles.

8. I think it would look better if the seed actually resembled an ash tree (that’s the English name – right?) seed.

• Adela Doiron says:

Yes it is supposed to be an ash tree and ash seeds are flat single wing style. Also it should be done in Urnes style.