18 Responses to “English National Opera to mount Philip Glass production about Walt Disney's last days”

1. niktemadur says:

More like “Mishima”.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I re-watched that about a year ago. That score really made me want to gouge out my inner ears.

• niktemadur says:

Not a big fan of minimalism, eh?  Yup, Philip Glass is very touch-and-go, although I really like his “Einstein On The Beach”.

The “Mishima” score was performed by the Kronos Quartet.  Let’s do the same for Disney, but instead of committing seppuku at the end, let’s have Walt jumping into the cryogenic vat, with the legend “The End… For Now”

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I see nothing minimalist about non-stop clanging. It’s more tinnitism than minimalism.

• Paul Renault says:

Is that a typo?  Did you mean ‘tintin-ism’?

/BTW, I suffer from tinnitis, I’d rather have Glass playing in my head than that all day.

• SedanChair says:

Off the stage like Tosca, that would be the shit

• Ambiguity says:

The “Mishima” score was performed by the Kronos Quartet

Are you sure? I thought that one was with full orchestra.

I have the disk laying around here somewhere, but I haven’t listened to it in a long time…

(Off topic, but if you like Kronos, be sure to listen to their performances of Terry Riley’s works (whom, as far as minimalism goes, I prefer to Glass)).

• niktemadur says:

Evidence, courtesy of YouTube:

And check it out, Antinous, it ain’t all that bad, actually those strings are quite damn beautiful, evocative.

EDIT FOR UPDATE: Antinous, give it another chance, I can’t believe we’re talking about the same thing, this is amazing!

• Antinous / Moderator says:

IT DID THAT NON-STOP FOR TWO HOURS!

• niktemadur says:

Gotcha.  The difference is that I saw “Mishima” about twenty years ago, so the slate is clean with me, so to speak.  As a three minute piece and far removed from an experience of annoying repetition, it’s a thing of beauty.

• Ambiguity says:

More like “Mishima”.

Mousehma.

All Phillip Glass joking aside, I once saw Koyaanisqatsi with live orchestral accompaniment, and I enjoyed it a lot.

2. sam1148 says:

M-I-C,MIC,MIC, M-I-C-K,M-I-C-K,M-I-C-K,E-E-E,EEE,E-Y,E-Y,E-Y,E-Y,E-Y,E-Y,mouse,mouse,mouse.
    etc..etc.

• sam1148 says:

Don’t get my wrong about Glass and his music. Heck, I’ve purchased quite a few of his works on LP in the mid and late 70′s. Including LP’s of “North Star”, “Music in 12 Parts”, And a 2 inch thick Box set complete LP collection of “Eisenstein on the Beach”. I don’t even think there’s a complete version of that on CD publish (no?). ..and even the short lived “New Wave” rock album “Polyrock”.

3. Deidzoeb says:

I don’t want to go Godwin, but when I read “Walt Disney’s last days”, I totally pictured Downfall with a slightly different mustache.

4. timquinn says:

What? No long thread about how Disney was no way the perfect American. Boingers, you are slipping.

5. robcat2075 says:

Michael Barrier, longtime animation historian and writer, who wrote probably the best researched biography of Walt Disney (“The Animated Man: A Life of Walt Disney”) has some comments regarding the opera and the book it’s based on:

Short summary: When they say the book is “fictionalized” they ain’t kiddin’. It contains very little insight into the real person of Walt Disney who’s real life was not “unimaginable, alarming and truly frightening.”