11 Responses to “10MM images from Guatemala's National Police go online: disappearances, STD experiments, more”

1. Kimmo says:

I’d say this was good news, if I was already aware of the extent of human rights abuse in Guatemala…

Not sure what to call something that simultaneously bums me out and offers a bit of hope, though.

Also, typo in title – ’10MM’

• Robert says:

I had an economics prof who confused the shit out of me when he wrote “10M” and said “ten thousand”. He explained to me that M in economics meant thousand (M = mille) while in engineering M meant million (M = mega). So yeah, MM means million (thousand thousands) in any profession that is not a hard science.

It seriously annoys me.

• Kimmo says:

O_o

Huh. I’m 37 and I don’t ever recall coming across that convention.

Not that I ever studied economics… but what the hell’s wrong with SI prefixes, I wonder.

Tends to confirm my low opinion of economists; I gather more interfacing with reality outside their ivory simulations would do them good.

• Guest says:

An Opportunity

• Ipo says:

10mm – the pictures are rather small.

2. poryorick says:

Thanks to Cory for picking up on the Guatemalan archive news. The University of Texas Libraries’ Human Rights Documentation Initiative http://www.lib.utexas.edu/hrdi/ has also partnered with the Kigali Genocide Memorial to build and host documentation from the Rwandan Genocide, including audio/video survivor testimonies, all available for the world to see. http://www.genocidearchiverwanda.org.rw/

3. This isn’t journalism. If individuals do not review each item *before* info is released, it’s just an indiscriminate opening of unknown floodgates. Clearly this has been precipitated by anarchists, and they will be dealt with.

4. Peter Stern says:

it would be easier to fly down there than  to use the search/browse UI they built. it  looks like web ui circa 1995.

5. mjd says:

The major lesson to be learned from Guatemala’s example is that there’s virtually no limit to the severity and scale of the crimes you can commit with impunity as long as you have the patronage of a superpower.