18 Responses to “Talking Heads' "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" performed on traditional Chinese instruments”

1. SedanChair says:

This music makes me want to buy something…or maybe start trusting a corporation

2. I’m diggin’ that traditional Chinese double bass.

Seriously though, this cover is five kinds of awesome.

• jazzbo says:

The Chinese make boatloads of contrabasses, and it is a traditional instrument, so depending on how you parse the headline…
      and while we are picking on the pizzicato bassists -
      Why aren’t there any Traditional Chinese Bass instruments?
      The Gu-zheng player does it with his left hand! Ba-da-bing!

3. The Archaeologist says:

This is probably the first time a YouTube top rated comment has actually caused me laugh out loud.

4. jeligula says:

Nice, but I still have a hard time with it.  This song is very special to me.  I don’t know if I prefer the steel drums of Arcade Fire’s cover to this one.  I guess it’s just a case of me preferring the original no matter what.

5. jewelley says:

they even have the floor lamp!

6. Stephan says:

They are coming to Chengdu?
    Good for them. Its such a chill city.
    Im sure they will end up playing in one of the numerous Cafes/Bars where you can just pull out your instrument and start to jam.
    Looking forward.

7. nathan foote says:

It’s not often that a song, much less a cover, can cause me to get a little misty-eyed. The original version always has, and this one definitely delivered. There is a soft spot in my head for this tune, it has a special place for my wife and myself. Great selection, Boing.

8. cmholm says:

This cover is just haunting, sweet, beautiful. Unfortunate that I can’t easily hang out to hear more first hand, but I look forward to whatever else they throw over the transom during their residency.

9. If you like talking heads covers you should check out this compilation of jambands covering david and co:

10. pamaro says:

Brilliant. They make it seem that song was written to be played on Chinese instruments. Brings back fond memories. Talking Heads was my favorite band for many years. I’d love to see them do Life During Wartime.

11. Benjamin Schlotz says:

I was just listening to this song (the live version from stop making sense) and thinking that the synth solo would sound best on a fiddle.

but I was wrong.

It sounds best on an erhu.

12. fairmariner says:

Hey, everyone! We are completely blown away by:

1. this BoingBoing feature (equivalent to our impending China trip in unbelievable-ness),
    2. the incredibly positive tone of the comments, here and on youtube, and
    3. the fact that, because of this attention, we made our Kickstarter goal! With 6 days to spare!
    Just 48 hours ago, we were all really worried about getting there. We’re so humbled by all of this, and so grateful to Cory Doctorow, BoingBoing, and everyone who’s donated to the Kickstarter or just watched the video. Thank you, xie xie, 谢谢, from all of us in Matteo.

13. Max Hoagland says:

This song is awesome and a sickkk cover!!!!