Faithful reproduction of the IBM Wall Clock

25 Responses to “Faithful reproduction of the IBM Wall Clock”

1. CLamb says:

I have memories of how the clocks sometimes malfunctioned spinning the minute hand around at second hand speeds.  It always delighted the class.

• jackbird says:

That wasn’t a malfunction, it was a signal sent out to all the clocks in the building to synchronize them.

http://www.ats-usa.com/pdf_apnotes/MCMODES.pdf for the gory details.

• Donald Petersen says:

Ah.  That also explains a couple of clocks I had in certain high school classrooms which would stop their second hands at ten seconds before the hour, tick those last seconds off one by one, pause again, then resume their smooth rotation.  It was a correction signal.

There’s another 25-year-old mystery put to bed!

2. As familiar as the IBM clock was, even more evocative and fondly remembered were the ubiquitous horizontal framed image of the single word THINK, beneath which would be the three words:  International Business Machines.

3. Looks great. I’m pretty sure there was a similar institutional clock in the UK when I was a kid.
    One question though – was the movement made in the USA?

4. CourierPica says:

$235 puts a high price on nostalgia…

5. Jeff Grygny says:

Haha as classy as this retro-dial is, I can’t help but think of Russian nostalgia for the Soviet era totalitarianism. There couldn’t be a better visual analog (pun not intended) for the relentless thrust of Taylorian  tyrrany of industrial time than this.
    Of course, I used to have horrifying nightmares of a giant clock.

• “Isn’t it obvious?  You can time him, know exactly how long it takes him to do something.”
      “Well?”
      “Then you can make him do it faster.”
      JG Ballard, ‘Chronopolis’ (in which clocks have been outlawed)

6. brennannovak says:

Man, this is funny I was just at Schoolhouse two days ago and I saw this clock. A weird case of real world accessibility beating online!

7. imachias says:

It’s a shame that IBM sold their time division to Simplex in 1958 and therefore never made clocks in the 60s. Pretty awesome reproduction, though.

8. Hamish Grant says:

There is something mesmerizing about the IBM wall clock.  When I was in school, these were a universal feature – every classroom, every hallway, every gymnasium had them.. they seemed to be networked, too – as when daylight savings time arrived or ended, the clock would be adjusted forward (never backward) one click-clock at a time until the proper time was displayed.   Much has been made of the slight back-click the minute hand would make if you were clockwatching before recess or lunch or the end of school.  It was as if time stood still for a moment, in spite of the youngsters whose desire to vault from their seats and riot out of the school building at the exact moment leaving-time was achieved.

• addalled says:

I think the back-tick thing was in a scene in Risky Business when Tom Cruise was anxious to get out of class.

9. Paul Renault says:

You would think that, for the purpose of making a video, they would have lined up the hands to that they all meed at exactly noon, rather ‘kinda’ noon.

10. AwesomeRobot says:

Made in USA. $235.

11. Antinous / Moderator says:

That clock looks lonely.

12. Ray Perkins says:

How many kids today can’t read an analog clock? (Many years ago, an employee of my wife’s at Amex couldn’t, so I assume the number > 0).

13. Palomino says:

235!!?  I wonder how much the Master  Clock is. This clock can be in style and finish only, nothing else. The ones seen throughout an entire school or government building were all slave clocks, all hard wired to a master clock.