Outer Limits trading cards

20 Responses to “Outer Limits trading cards”

1. planettom says:

Before the pilot episode of THE OUTER LIMITS (“THE GALAXY BEING”) aired in September 1963, magazines like TV GUIDE had an ad featuring this artwork.  This was reprinted in the 1977 STARLOG #4.

2. fergus1948 says:

Just a reminder of Keith Bates’s hi-res scans of his full set of Mars Attacks cards.

3. heni nuraeni says:

i don’t understand about this picture , can you help me to desribe this picture ??

4. Great artwork, but what’s with the diabolical copy?

5. snagglepuss says:

I remember being in 3rd grade, showing some of  these cards around my catholic  school before class began and some tattletale jeebus-freak fellow student turning me in for it, as if the cards were acts of blasphemy. All the kids who’d gaped at them clammed up and left me to hang.

Cards were confiscated, never returned, and I was punished for bringing “filth” to school. I remember thinking afterwards, “I’d rather have this fake TV show than this phony “school”.”

6. Stefan Jones says:

These must have been just a bit before my time. I remember Mars Attacks cards (probably a reprint series, late 60s) and event he first run of Wacky Packages (on cardstock).

The guy with the big eyes isn’t technically an alien. He was a human settler who became a big-eyed “Mutant” when doused with rain on a colony world. Spent most of the episode wearing oversized sunglasses.

7. Preston Sturges says:

Here’s one of many monster compilation from TOL

I liked the Zanti Misfits, and the The Demon With A Glass Hand featuring Robert Culp in a Harlan Ellison story set in the Bradbury Building.

8. Mister44 says:

The opening from “Do Not Open Until Doomsday” still creeps me the hell out.

• sdnative1958 says:

Agreed, and one of my top favorite episodes to show people who never saw The Outer Limits – it’s one of the most odd and disturbing things ever to be on television. Although only 5 years old when the series began, I’m grateful that reruns introduced me to TOL later on in my youth, and the series now holds a place of honor on my DVD shelf. I never tire of it.

Oh, the MUSIC throughout can still elicit goosebumps!

• Norm Tedford says:

I can see a prepubescent David Lynch having nightmares from this particular episode. Nightmares which proved to be excellent fuel for his later film oeuvre.

• Norm Tedford says:

Mea culpa. I should have done my research before the above post. Turns out, David Lynch was eighteen years old when the episode came out, and would not be “prepubescent”, unless he was an exceedingly late bloomer.

9. Halloween_Jack says:

That bug-eyed dude used to give me nightmares, not because I’d actually seen the episode (I wasn’t allowed to watch shows like The Outer Limits at that age) but because the TV station had aired a promo for it which contained the big reveal, when the guy takes the goggles off to show his eyes. This would have been after the original run of the show by at least a few years, so I guess that they would have decided, “Hey, no need to worry about spoilers, here’s something to scar your kids for life, ha ha.”

10. Brad Cleveland says:

I didn’t see the Megasoid listed.

That episode was actually about a man making an (illegal) clone of himself and was kind of deep.  A little supsension of disbelief was in order because the memories are also copied over and the duplicate is similarly aged.

The overall point was: by having your appearance and your memories is he really you (or maybe a better one?)

Too bad the kind of stupid ‘bear’ or monster of the week requirement sort of watered this down.

Maybe in the episode “they” labeled the Megasoid as dangerous for political reasons. (ha ha).  It could communicate telepathically.  Not, “Me hungry. Eat human.” but something thought provoking.

• Preston Sturges says:

Megazoid don’t care, cause Megazoid is crazy. Megazoid hungry? Megazoid just takes, cause Megazoid’s badass.  Megazoid don’t give a shit. Oh look, he’s running in slow motion…

11. CognitiveDissident says:

Great show!
    I’m on Season 2, Disc 3 the last disc :-(
    Sometimes cheesy makeup/special effects, but usually GREAT stories.
    Ol’ Bug Eyes/Homer-Simpson-Wannbee in the picture is none other that Warren Oates.