Stolen: ten ton bridge

13 Responses to “Stolen: ten ton bridge”

1. Craig C. says:

My father worked at Bethlehem steel, in Western PA, and always told the story of the middle manager who stole a pre-fab building, and borrowed the work crew on company time to assemble it along a lake. It’s now (or was as of 10-15 years ago, when this story was told to me) a restaurant.

2. paulj says:

Some US states have laws on the books to deter this. Provisions may include registering buyers and sellers, requiring sellers to show ID, imposing liability for accepting stolen goods, etc. Making the laws consistent and getting them actually enforced is another matter. But it seems like things are getting bad enough that even legislators with an anti-regulatory bias will see the need to take meaningful action.

3. semicolon says:

are you sure it wasn’t Carmen Sandiego?

4. avraamov says:

what does ‘I’ve got a bridge to sell you’ mean?

• Brainspore says:

It means I have an amazing business opportunity for you, friend!

• Develsaa says:

During the rush of immigration in the 50′s con men would take advantage of the unwitting tourists and refugee’s and offer to sell them the Brooklyn Bridge for a real ‘deal’. Now it is used in reference to being gullible. “If you believe that well, I have a bridge to sell you”. Sometimes you see the phrase as “I have swampland in Florida to sell you” or as below “Ocean Front Property in Arizona”. Additionally you can google it to find out more.

• howaboutthisdangit says:

It’s funny you should mention swampland, my child, because I just so happen to have some prime acreage available, just ripe for development.  If you act now, I’ll throw in a gen-u-ine eastern European bridge absolutely for free.

5. Eark_the_Bunny says:

Hey this is free enterprise.  Who needs laws and regulations.  These folks are job creators!