3D printed electromechanical computer

7 Responses to “3D printed electromechanical computer”

1. Mantissa128 says:

Jacquard would be proud.

His middle name was Marie! [snicker]

2. Funk Daddy says:

Ah yes, using advanced technology to develop less advanced technologies.

Ah yes. When the end comes this approach will assure us of our oblivion, which we would have had anyway.

Anyway, will this computer they are building play WoW? Really slowly maybe? Using the postal service? Like the first networked chess games. That’s all I want.

• Jim Davison says:

Listen, this is simply the computational equivalent of a drooling, puking, diaper-crapping baby. You wouldn’t look at a new born and say with ridicule, “Ah yes, using adults to create babies”. So, roll up your sleeves, pinch your nose, and get to cleaning up your infant computer’s crap-chads.

• Culturedropout says:

>  You wouldn’t look at a new born and say with ridicule, “Ah yes, using adults to create babies”.

Actually, I probably would.  Projects like this are interesting to see, and I’m sure they’re fun to build, but ultimately pointless to anyone but the builder.  I’m impressed by the skills and ideas involved, but it’s not exactly going to save the world, is it?

• OtherMichael says:

> it’s not exactly going to save the world, is it?

He’s building something, and attempting to increase the sum-total of buildable-things.

Who knows where that might lead. Possibly even a self-assembling 3-d printer+computer that doesn’t rely on a chip-fab being conveniently located on a nearby continent.

• Funk Daddy says:

I don’t care, if I can’t use it to send 3-4 45lb boxes of sequential punch cards to a central depository for redistribution to other players indicating which direction I ran during the RAID 3 1/2 weeks ago, I’m not interested.

3. Kerim says:

I, for one, welcome our new self-replicating punchcard-reading overlords.