Book designer Chip Kidd's entertaining TED Talk

16 Responses to “Book designer Chip Kidd's entertaining TED Talk”

1. Brainspore says:

Highly recommend his novels The Cheese Monkeys and The Learners, especially for anyone with an interest in graphic design.

• Mark_Frauenfelder says:

Cheese Monkeys is wonderful. Haven’t read The Learners yet. Thanks for the reminder.

• Brainspore says:

Definitely takes a turn toward the darker stuff but no less entertaining or well-written. I actually used some of the short interludes on “content” for a graphic design course I’m teaching.

• I’m going to have to disagree.   I thought the Cheese Monkeys started out really well, but died a tragic death about 5 pages from the end.   Not as bad as Stephenson’s The Diamond Age, but still a real disaster as it got to the final pages.

• franko says:

i really liked Cheese Monkeys. so much of it harked back to my time in design classes. when it sucker punched me, i was stunned, and had to re-read that page several times. the ending definitely was bizarre to me. i can’t say i still understand just what happened. but overall, i adore that book.

2. Rose Queen says:

Maybe they aren’t glasses, but a convertible lorgnette?

3. Skanky Mike? Hello new twitter screen name!

4. Is that Patrick McGoohan’s suit he’s wearing?

5. wizardru says:

This was an astoundingly entertaining talk.  I didn’t know Kidd was an author, as well.  I’ll have to look up his stuff.

What I most like about his talk is how he makes a case for the physical books while also accepting that the new media is here and the new media is staying.  But his love for the printed book is an elegant thing and it compels.

6. Peter Eller says:

As a graphic designer he looks like a dinosaur

7. derek prowse says:

OMG WHY ARE HIS GLASSES LIKE THAT!!  SO JAUNTY!

8. miasm says:

I wonder if he designed his ‘cover’ specifically from his experience of watching himself give talks or if he went with his instincts.

9. snow says:

Anyone think his first image of Buddha looks a lot like Aang from “Avatar: The Last Airbender”?

10. redesigned says:

what an eccentric interesting persona,  a very entertaining guy to watch, he seems like the type of person who is just as interesting in real life as he is on stage.