Testing spacesuits beneath the Earth's surface

11 Responses to “Testing spacesuits beneath the Earth's surface”

1. Henry Pootel says:

Any links to source of this or further information?

*edit*
    See http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,831024,00.html for more info along with some video…

2. Stonewalker says:

This.  This is why I come to BoingBoing each and every day.

3. Rich Keller says:

Really cool pictures. I like how the ice takes forms similar to the stalactites, stalagmites and flowstone. Seeing Herr Schildhammer in a spacesuit in that cave is fun. I know it’s from a scientific test, but I’ve been conditioned to perceive as a still from a TV show or movie.

Are they going to test this in other places? Mars has some crazy wind speeds and the katabatic winds coming off the plateau in Antarctica is probably the closest we have to that.

4. Atvaark says:

Tintin “Explorers on the Moon” has that exact same scene.

5. Brainspore says:

I thought the “World of the Ice Giants” was home to the arch-enemies of Asgard.

6. aynrandspenismighty says:

If he turns on the reactor to melt the ice, will Australia become inhabitable like Mars?

7. Henry Pootel says:

The idea of robotic cave exploration is kind of fascinating to me.  I’m wondering why there isn’t more of it done?  It’s a great learning/development experience for this kind of forward-looking need, but at the same time allows for a lot of risk-free exploration beyond what most (or all) humans are capable of.   Imagine experiencing the mystery and awe of cave exploration via remote vehicle?

8. Ian McMurtrie says:

I was there last October, this Cave is open to the public for walking tours (walking up the mountain to reach the cave and bypassing the gondola is also an option).

Great experience, consider it if you are ever in the Saltzburg region.

9. lecti says:

“Waking Mars, The Movie”.