Elaborate, geared apparatus for shaking cocktails

15 Responses to “Elaborate, geared apparatus for shaking cocktails”

1. bcsizemo says:

Perhaps I just don’t have high enough quality shakers, but if I were to vice it closed like in the mounting, I’d never be able to break it apart again.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Better than when they get loose.  Martini + eye = ouch.  If your lid gets stuck, hold a hot cloth around it for about a second and it will come right off.

2. riverlaw says:

It reminds me of those fucking machines. I am sure there is money to be had in a combo devise.

3. Antinous / Moderator says:

As a onetime barfly, I was prepared to be critical, but that’s a pretty ideal motion for mixing cocktails.

• Dan Mowry says:

I agree it’s pretty good. However, if there was a way to rotate the shakers a little – maybe 30 degrees or thereabouts, there could be more shaking down the length of the tins instead of too much sloshing at the bottom.

…I just forfeited my seat at the well-adjusted-not-a-cocktail-geek table, haven’t I?

• Bottle Imp says:

Agreed, maybe even a similar device that accepts the shaker fully horizontal, that might be easier to construct than an angle between 0 and 90.

Bonus points for someone who makes one that does a Kazuo Ueda hard shake method. Not that I’m a hard shake disciple, but it would amuse me.

4. Paul Renault says:

That video’s no good:
    1) There’s no loud thump-thump-thump music that forces you to turn the speaker volume down;
    2) 85% of the time wasn’t tinkertinker in a head shot, talking about why (not how) he built it;
    3) The editing and videography wasn’t all jump cuts, blurry CSI-style shakey camera, and ‘I can’t tell what the frak is going on’ too-short edits;
    4) It wasn’t at least eight minutes of video to explain twenty seconds of idea.

(Great job, tinkertinker!)

5. dcorbett says:

Why is the flywheel so damn big?  The distance to the attachment point is tiny…

6. just_a_user says:

Turn of *what* century?  Nice engineering.

7. I got to sample a “Phineas Flip” shaken up by the dapper bar boys of Jupiter Olympus using this amazing steampunk shaker. English Harbour Rum, ginger liqueur, ale, whole egg, topped with nutmeg. Epic show resulting in frothy goodness. If you’re in the NYC area next week you can experience it in action at the Touring Pop-Up Sideshow Saloon in Brooklyn May 14. http://on.fb.me/saloonbrooklyn