Skillets in the shapes of each of the continental states of the USA

44 Responses to “Skillets in the shapes of each of the continental states of the USA”

1. Paul Renault says:

This is a good idea: it’ll help Americans develop a sense of pride in their country…

/I keed!

Seriously, though, did you price out all the States’ skillets?  It’d cost what, $20,000 to $25,000 for the whole set, plus $35 x 48, if you want them seasoned.

• Wingnut says:

I suspect that snooty coastal people would just buy their state pans and ignore all the fry-over states.

2. coelacanth says:

They have failed to use the built-in panhandles in Florida and Oklahoma. For shame!

• awjt says:

That is absolutlelelyey STUPID with a capital STU.  Who in their right mind designing state shaped skillets would overlook natural PAN HANDLES?!?!!? dumb asses.  Maker Memberships REVOKED!!!

3. nealpolitan says:

Say one thing for my home state of North Dakota, it makes a useful skillet.

4. jayson says:

Those Maryland and Rhode Island skillets aren’t going to be too practical.

Come to think of it, I’m not too sure how you’re going to get that 24″ long California skillet on a burner, either.

• blueelm says:

Actually the little ones are kind of cute. You could make state pancakes in them.

Now Texas, that’s a big skillet. However the hilarity of frying eggs two fisted over a massive flame in a 21×22 in Texas shaped skillet is just about as perfect a comment on Texas as ever needs to be made.

• True enough, though someone seems to have managed it!

–Edited to say that, actually, I take that back. Whatever’s in that pan actually looks like it was probably baked.

• dragonfrog says:

Cornbread, I’d guess.  Need a lot of bacon fat to make that cornbread right.  Or maybe some hippy vegan thingo like coconut oil, given the skilled in question…

5. Shay Guy says:

So this is what, 1/2,000,000 scale?

6. cyberscythe says:

Shame that the states which have panhandles don’t actually use those as handles for the pans. =

7. Is that a Colorado-shaped turbo-pancake or a Wyoming-shaped one? I have to know, or I can’t eat any of it.

8. Ipo says:

South Carolina of all places looks useful, while it isn’t surprising that Texas is  even more impractical than California.
    You can’t see it on the photo, but the Kansas skillet is badly damaged in its upper right corner.  Topeka.
    Why is the Alaska waste bin not included in the offer?
    Hawaiʻi would make a neat set for pu-pus.

But seriously, they’re pretty cool for a mass-produced(?) art piece.
    They’d look good on my kitchen wall.

9. Urban Garlic says:

No District of Columbia pan, I see, but DC’s geography might be included in the Maryland pan.

Trying to get retrocession in the back door, are they?

10. equilibrist says:

An awesome thing that I would love to own, mais, très cher

11. John says:

Its our bad that the image is quite small. Need a wall-size one in every home so that the next generations habitually learn about the geographic locations of every states. Good idea.

12. Word on the street is he got this idea from Sen. Franken.

• I just love watching him do that trick.

It’s also Interesting that I now live in a panhandle region of Texas, since one of the handles sticks out of Galveston bay. And amazing detail there on Maryland, though all that coastline will be hell to clean if you burn something.

13. Eark_the_Bunny says:

Okay since this is the CONTINENTAL United States, where is the ALASKA skillet?   Alaska in part of the “continental” US since it is on the same continent, that being North America.  Hawaii on the other hand is out of luck.

• voiceinthedistance says:

“Hawaii on the other hand is out of luck.”

We hear that often here.

• Shmuel says:

“Continental” is in Cory’s headline, not on the website. These are actually the 48 contiguous states of the U.S.

That said, the website does use the term “lower 48″ on the “Geographic Compositions” page, and while the intended meaning of that is clear, it’s not entirely accurate, considering that Hawaii is even lower. Ah well.

(Practically, Alaska would be enormous, and Hawaii would be hard to manage as a single skillet, so I suppose I can see why they’re left out…)

• Ipo says:

Lower numbers.  Don’t confuse southern with low.
        Alaska and then Hawaii got statehood last.

14. pjcamp says:

Well Texas just looks obscene.

15. xkot says:

Michigan should have come as an oven mitt to pick the rest of them up with.

16. Robert Cruickshank says:

Kansas would be right at home on a range.

17. jimbuck says:

I thought the GA one might make a perfect gift for my hard-to-buy-for parents …. then when I saw the price I thought I’ll just buy them a small island instead.

18. Halloween_Jack says:

Rhode Island Skillet

Length: 2.125 in.

Width: 2 in.

Weight: 10 oz.

That’s not cookware, that’s a rather heavy brooch.

19. Toby says:

Love this.  ~$450 per pan is out of my price range, but I love it.

20. thaum says:

I’d like a Hawaii so I can cook each egg in its individual island. No?

21. Kayjayoh says:

I remember the “midwest” version of this, back before she started the rest of the 48, hanging on the wall at the late Underground Kitchen on the Capitol Square in Madison. Unsurprisingly, it was one of the things that survived the fire that closed the business. (Though I think most of the actual fire damage was on the upper floors.)

22. Mark in CA says:

For the prices they’re charging, you’d think they’d at least finish them better.  As it looks from their web site, the cast iron is completely “raw,” with lots of imperfections and no machining of the surfaces.  They just pour the molten metal into the molds, and it’s “done.”  If I want that level of “craftsmanship,” I can get it from Lodge for about $25.

23. Tim Drage says:

‘Nobody owns life, but anyone who can pick up a frying pan owns death.’ - William S. Burroughs

24. huskerdont says:

Yeah, why put an extra handle on “America’s wang”?

25. Lobster says:

The Great Lakes make great latkes!

26. twianto says:

Pretty useful. There should be a restaurant that offers you a RI omelet as a side dish or a TX omelet if you’re really hungry.