File-sharing church solemnizes first wedding

13 Responses to “File-sharing church solemnizes first wedding”

1. CaptainPedge says:

The obligation to have children seems a bit anti-queer. :/

• Sam Archer says:

And yet pro-evolution.  What kind of strange new religion is this?

;)

• ocker3 says:

Really? Gays and Lesbians can’t have children that are their genetic descendants??

• oddboyout says:

You’re right, however I don’t think Kopimism ever claimed to be radically queer. I also didn’t hear them say it was an obligation. Rather they said it was one of the most holy acts.

What I don’t understand is how marriage even works into their religious framework. Marriage seems very anti-sharing. Marriage is one of the only institutions in which an individual legally shares ownership of possessions with one other person (and only that person). Rather than opening up one’s information to share with the community it seems to purposefully section it off. (Also, monogamy?)

Though… maybe marriage is simply the way for Kopimist laity to practice sharing in all things. And it is the only legal way for them to share possessions, so maybe marriage simply signifies the legal limitations of the religion.

I guess they could also be remixing the religion to suit their own desires and needs. lol

• CaptainPedge says:

“Like any other matrimony, a Kopimism marriage is bound by rules. The Church of Kopimism allows the couple to share their love with others, as long as those others don’t steal it. Most importantly, however, they have to copy and remix themselves.”

2. Brainspore says:

I’m guessing it’s an open marriage, then.

3. Henry Pootel says:

Yea, the word “solemn” really came to mind there.

Not to mention the inevitable fight a year later with the line, “Our marriage started with a joke and now it IS a joke!”

4. chgoliz says:

Humor aside, I’m appreciating the integrity of the ritual.  Unlike these people, I live in a country where 50% of the population wants marriage to be stifling….all about separation and hierarchy….instead of based on sharing.  What a different approach to life.

5. Felix Binder says:

Dammit, I was really expecting a seeding pun at the procreation part. Color me disappointed.

6. James Murphy says:

Maybe they can help re-write the broken code of our current marriage system buy liberating it from all it’s false doctrine