House built upside-down in Austria becomes tourist attraction

22 Responses to “House built upside-down in Austria becomes tourist attraction”

1. That_Anonymous_Coward says:

Nope not gonna do it… nope nope nope…  just gonna wait for someone else to say it and watch the fireworks.

Xeni are there any photos of the interior?  Curious if its just an upside down outside of if they furnished it upside down as well.

• Brainspore says:

I would stand back if I were you, those [punchline-inducing-nationality] architects installed the firework launchers upside-down too.

2. Geoff D says:

THIS MAKES IT HARDER TO ESCAPE FROM THE BASEMENT

3. Paul Renault says:

Me, I have no qualms about saying it (and borrowing a Fark meme): “It’s appropriate that it was built in Austria, as it’s below the equator.”

Yes, the furniture is all upside down too.  Decent photos here:

Apparently, they’re not that rare:

4. Jonathan Roberts says:

Are upside down houses a thing in German speaking countries now? I saw one in my friend’s town last time I was there:

5. well, there is entire state built upside down and its not far from Austria. it use to be part of Austria.  Welcome to Bosnia and Herzegovina, it really is wierd!

6. Deidzoeb says:

I can haz inside-out house from So Long and Thanks For All the Fish?

7. syzygymoi says:

There’s one in Poland as well, in the tiny village of Szymbark, as well as in Germany in Trassenheide and Usedom . Seems there are quite a few. A few in Florida, one in Sunrise Village , two others in WonderWorks Amusement Parks in Orlando and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, in Japan which is a restaurant in Nagano, another one in St. Petersburg, Russia. One in Turkey in Antalya and an interesting one in Vienna, called House Attack. And not to forget the “House of Katmandu” in Spain! It is indeed a strange world!

8. coop says:

The crown moulding would be strangely easy to install.

9. Jerry Dunk says:

Upside down white house here in Wisconsin…

10. ymendel says:

“Becomes” tourist attraction? That sounds like someone built an upside-down house for some other reason and it just so happened to attract tourists, while the text below the picture (a caption also supplied by Reuters?) clearly states that the house was built in order to attract tourists.

11. parfae says:

That’s all well and good, but can I play lazer tag in it?

12. MrScience says:

I’m shocked to be the first to bring up Mrs. Pigglewiggle!

13. ludd says:

I got a free flight to Vienna once, to deliver an urgent bill of lading for an expensive  shipment sitting waiting for customs clearance.
    The original documents had been sent to Sydney – presumably by an American.  Is it something in the water?

14. frozenintime says:

I’ll right back, I have to go downstairs to the attic.