A powerful piece at The Rumpusby Steve Almond about reports that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney was a cruel homophobic bully in high school. "It’s just bullshit, total fucking sociopathic bullshit. And it makes me sad that such an episode comes to light and all Romney can do—a guy who wants to be elected to our highest office—is nervously lie and make excuses, as if this were political problem. It’s not a political problem. It’s a moral problem. It’s a sin he committed for which any believer would seek atonement." [* contains a graphic description of a sexual assault.]

11 Responses to “Steve Almond on Mitt Romney and bullying: "To Behave Like The Fallen World"”

1. EH says:

Like John Fugelsang says, stop calling it bullying. It’s assault, and it’s already a crime.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Yeah.  Like child molestation is actually rape.  And domestic violence/abuse is assault.  We have all these euphemisms to make the perp sound less guilty.

• D Wyatt says:

Yeah my favorite is the one cops use when they damn well know they did someone wrong.
        He was found “guilty of no wrongdoing” or “justified in his actions,” when there surely is no “justice” if they all play for the same team.

• SicJake says:

Agree completely, I was “bullied” in highschool, minor name calling that sort of thing. What this kid went thru is assault plain and simple.

• rtb61 says:

It’s the temptation, it’s the temptation, it burns, the desire it obviously runs very deep in Mr Romney. It’s a psychological reaction to deep seated homosexual desires and when repressed drive aberrant behaviour.
      The victim of Mitt Romneys abuses was also very likely the target of Mitt Romney’s barely repressed desire, a deep profound desire the Romney was trying to publicly deny by attacking the victim of that desire, direct physical grappling and the obviously deeply religous Romney subconciously takes on the role of Delilah and as she/he cuts away the hair of the Samson who has such profound power over her/him.
      Just to remind people long hair is not overtly feminine, Jesus, George Washington, Moses, this image http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Declaration_independence.jpg.
      What over behaviour of Mitt Romney also expresses suppressed homosexual desires, always very well dressed, the expressed love of ‘Gay Paree’, has hidden associations with gay men and, avoids hugs with men obviously afraid of tent city.

2. Now THAT is writing. A crazy good piece.

3. Now THAT is writing. A crazy good piece.

4. Guest says:

“total fucking sociopathic bullshit”

It explains his poll numbers.

5. whowantstoast says:

I think I finally have Romney’s campaign slogan: I want to be president, I’ve already been Lord of the Flies.

6. error27 says:

Here is an article on how Mitt Romney played dumb during the debates:

It’s sort of his stock answer, “I don’t know what you are talking about, but if there is something wrong then the people responsible should say sorry, but it wasn’t me.  So no, I’m not very concerned about that.”

7. chgoliz says:

I didn’t trust him before, but this story has really turned the tide for me.  This is not just an ignorant or narcissistic or manipulative person….this is a dangerous human being.