Just after a horrific week of news about mounting body counts in Mexico from the drug war, Danger Room points to news that at least one narco arsenal was found to include Claymore Mines. The mines can be triggered with an electronic remote, and are capable of spewing 700 steel balls in any direction, with a wounding range of 50 yards. Here's a video.

10 Responses to “Mexican drug cartels now using Claymore mines”

1. Aram Jahn says:

Well, headless, handless and legless corpses strewn along Mexican highways and on playgrounds is a small price to pay to keep up the illusion that we’re keeping someone from getting high in Amerikkka. I saw we TRIPLE DOWN on this policy! As some DEA mucky-muck is no doubt saying to someone else as I write this, “We’re finally winning. We can see the light at the end of the tunnel. We’re making Americans safe.”

2. Chris Pruett says:

Based on the photo provided at the Small Wars Journal site, the mine in question looks to be a Russian/ComBloc MON-50 rather than a US M18A1. Not that it makes much of a difference….

3. relawson says:

Why can’t anyone come up with a claymore detector like in MGS?

4. “using” / “arsenal was found to include” :-

5. sockdoll says:

50-year-old technology that still gets the job done.

“FRONT TOWARD ENEMY”

• Chris Pruett says:

LOL. If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard a story about “that one guy in Basic” who managed to misunderstand this seemingly simple, straightforward instruction, I’d be at least thirty bucks ahead…

6. Joseph Grace says:

Very easy to make these :L

7. Phil Fot says:

Xeni, I have a a few decades of experience with claymore mines. I can assure you that they don’t spew their little steel balls in “any direction.”

When you detonate a claymore the balls cover an arc of 60 degrees. That’s why the front cover says “FRONT TOWARD ENEMY.”

Personally, I love Claymore mines. I didn’t like them at first since they seemed like a lot of extra weight to schlep around. Then we had occasion to rely on them one night when snooping around. Needless to say, we made it back and our many playmates were left behind in the bush.

I never again questioned the order to carry a half a dozen or so when heading out for the night.