Reddit culture well-tuned to spot hoaxes

18 Responses to “Reddit culture well-tuned to spot hoaxes”

1. True, but Wikipedia isn’t a hive of misogyny and casual racism…

2. AwesomeRobot says:

How far down the rabbit hole are you willing to go?

There’s a (very plausible) reddit conspiracy theory that the US armed forces are using the site for propaganda purposes. New users with no previous posts often post military-affiliated content, then the account ends up deleted.

and

The military is known to be active in social media, but it’s increasingly creepy the deeper the propaganda gets.

• nixiebunny says:

Based on the premise that Reddit can spot hoaxes, what does Reddit have to say about this particular conspiracy theory?

3. togi says:

‘Milieux’ is plural of ‘Milieu’, so you want either ‘… social milieu makes…’ or ‘social milieux make’. /pedant

4. Lol Reddit thinks it’s relevant.

5. Ito Kagehisa says:

“Wikipedia…  has a rigid, exclusionary culture that is easy to exploit once it is understood.”

Now there’s something I’ve been trying to figure out how to say concisely for years.

6. Toby says:

As a longtime and dedicated redditor, I have to say thank you for stroking the site’s users’ already swollen egos. I didn’t think there was a way you could make us feel more superior to the rest of the internet, and yet, you found a way!

7. dragonfrog says:

So, this guy is edit:was having his class vandalize Wikipedia for class credit.  Nice.  I wonder how he would handle a student refusing to deliberately damage a public resource.

8. Capital_7 says:

They are hostile and suspicious of EVERYTHING there.  In this one example, it just worked out that they were right.  Any ten other true stories would have gotten the same response.

9. anywayonward says:

I don’t know if you meant this as some sort of meta-joke but the last line,
    “The papers look falsely aged. I can tell from the burnt edges, and from having seen many falsely aged papers in my time.” is a parody of the meme “This looks shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.” Source:

10. PeaceLove says:

“…an audience exquisitely tuned to the forensic texture of information…”
    What a fantastic description of a certain type of webhead (many BBers included). That kind of innate sensitivity to information flows is quite hard to describe to older folks and the non-web-savvy.