Astronomical fidget ring made from a meteorite

52 Responses to “Astronomical fidget ring made from a meteorite”

1. Aaron Swain says:

…and then I saw the price tag.

2. The planetarium at the  Museum of Science in Boston does a nice thing where they show the orbital paths of all the objects that should qualify to be planets if Pluto were. The sky is a blur of scribbles — it’s full of them. I know you’re basically trolling, but still. The decision to reclassify becomes obvious. But most importantly, it’s not like some ancient thing is losing its status — we were wrong about a lot of things in the 1930s.

• lorq says:

I don’t trust the competence of astronomers who have difficulty with large numbers.

• Jim Saul says:

I think the Lords of Science should offer Americans a deal…

If we finally switch to the metric system, we can go back to pretending Pluto is a planet.

(Besides, facilitating the switch to metric is just one more reason to legalize pot.)

• Andrew Singleton says:

I’m cool with that.

• Itsumishi says:

Coming from a country with the metric system; pot is about the only thing measured in the imperial system. With the exception of the gram, everything else is in ounces, pounds and divisions of the two.

• Jim Saul says:

Interesting. I wonder how that came about.

Once you have a pretty good handle on converting grams to ounces and back, everything else snaps into place. You need just one conversion mentally fixed.

Like meter to yard, quart to liter, inch to cm… pretty soon our Mars probes stop getting lost, and I quit stripping machine screws by mixing them up.

• Yes, but no human can decide such a thing for everyone.  Just because some scientists say they are experts and that Pluto is not a planet, does not magically make pluto not a planet for everyone.  It’s just a standard. I happen to  follow the cooler standard. My discipline (electrical engineering) is constantly bombarded by championing mediocrity, so I’m doing the same. #ninePlanets

• Sure; it’s clearly a planet by some working definition. Tomato fruit, tomato vegetable? But I think it’s kind of funny to get all obsessed about something that just happened to be misidentified by mid-20th-century science.

3. Phlip says:

“If Pluto were as close to the Sun as us, it would grow a tail. Do you think that’s right behavior for a ‘planet’”? –Neil deGrasse Tyson (IIRC)

And how about the anti-Pluto 90482-Orcus? also locked in a resonance with Neptune?

Accepting Ceres & such as “dwarf planets” is excellent sophistry that expands our Solar System, not diminishes it!

• Andrew Singleton says:

Fair enough. However I feel Pluto should have been grandfathered in.

I have no scientific reasoning for this.

Also. I want that ring, but I don’t have that kind of money.

• chenille says:

And that’s what terms should be about, feeling instead of scientific reasoning, right? Can’t change anything on the baby boomers.

I don’t mind the idea of counting Pluto as a planet, but if you think there should still be nine, you’re basically saying you care more about your memories of elementary school than discovering the universe. It really makes me sad how popular this particular rejection of new science is.

All sorts of new objects – Orcus, Haumea, Quaoar, Makemake, Eris, and Sedna – and all people care about is the one they knew from before. People who supposedly like space, no less.

• Andrew Singleton says:

Never said it was objective, or ‘correct’ scientifically speaking. Hell we’ve already sent out inaccurate things for the rest of the cosmos to look at (the gold records on the pioneer and voyager probes. Not to scale, wrong number of objects, etc.)

• chenille says:

Inaccuracies happen, but the idea they should be grandfathered in is something new. Maybe there are lots of subjects you can hardly discuss without people saying how much they prefer the old inaccurate version, but this is the first one I’ve run into, and it’s frustrating.

• Andrew Singleton says:

@boingboing-25d11f8e1a305f5eaf4caa32877882f3:disqus Well I recognize it as irrational and the new classification serves a highly useful purpose (things that are HUGE compared to asteroids/comets, but don’t qualify as planets in of themselves.)

• Antinous / Moderator says:

You’ll have to pry indigo from my cold, dead spectrum.

4. awjt says:

**so are Ganymede and Titan

5. Robert Cruickshank says:

You could keep everyone happy by wearing a matching Kuiper belt buckle. Besides, that would put Pluto closer to your….nah, not gonna go there.

6. Nathaniel says:

Yes, yes it is.

7. saurabh says:

Hindus often wear rings symbolizing the nine planets, although in Hindu cosmology the planets are: Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu. The last two are the disembodied head and decapitated body of the dragon Rahu, who periodically tries to swallow the sun and the moon during eclipses.

8. Sekino says:

Just to nitpick about something other than Pluto, that opal looks more Earthy than Jovian to me… But setting an opal in iron took crazy skillz and it is a gorgeous ring.

• Jon says:

It is a very nice piece of artwork. There is a lot of skill involved, but the opal looks to be just a simple inlay. He does have mad skills, but no mad skills required there, just some epoxy. This also tells me that this is a ring for special occasions, not everyday wear, unless of course you want to replace an opal a few times a year.

9. Anyone up for a Kickstarter to buy one each for Phil Plait (the BadAstronomer) and Neil Degrasse Tyson (the man who demoted Pluto)?

10. Never heard of a fidget ring before, but that thing is gorgeous.

11. Are you sure it’s not just a shrunken version of the infinity gauntlet?

12. Ramone says:

“* Pluto is a planet.” *

*dwarf planet.

FTFY

13. James Hardy says:

It’s nice, but I’d rather it have the *correct* number of planets (I never felt Pluto deserved to be called a planet, even before it’s reclassification). And those who believe in grandfathering planets in, I’ll accept that as valid if, and only if, you accept the other former planets:

Ready for 36 planets in the system?

14. Sofia Ortiz says:

I love this guy’s designs. You should also take a look at his women’s stuff – metamorphosisdesign.com . He specializes in custom jewelry (i.e., if you’re an anti-Pluto stickler, he’ll make one for you without Pluto in it). I’ve been wanting one of his rings for ages now.
    FYI: “fidget ring” means a ring that has an inner ring (like this one) that can ‘orbit’ around the outer part of the ring, i.e, turn while the rest of it stays in place. It’s pretty neat.

15. BillGlover says:

I wonder if the black diamond used for Pluto is a carbonado, because that would be awesome.

16. Kevin Hall says:

Pluto is a planet, my friend Tom even wrote a great song about it.

17. pauldrye says:

I suppose that Saturn is the cat’s eye chrysoberyl because its chatoyancy looks like a ring cutting across its middle. But I’m going to pretend that it’s because of the Lovecraft connection:

So Pluto’s in because it would be unwise to offend the Yuggothians.

18. Stefan Jones says:

For an extra $10,000 they’ll have a magician enchant it with a spell that, when activated, instantly teleports you the desired planet.

Life support spell not included.

• Andrew Singleton says:

For that you need the companion ring for the other hand that features representations of the four largest asteroids.

Forged Star-Metal sword recommended if you plan on staying out there for any extended period.

• oasisob1 says:

If it would instantly teleport a person of my choice to the desired planet, I’d buy that.

Also, Pluto is a planet, and there are nine planets in MY Solar System.

19. Itsumishi says:

I’ve always enjoyed fidget rings, until the outer ring inevitably gets just slightly bent and refuses to spin again.

20. lovely ring-would rather just have a meteorite though…(“,)

21. Francis Delaney says:

If you like this check out http://www.jacobalbee.com. I’ve met Jacob at a few craft shows and his stuff is just spectacular.

22. edgarhjelte says:

If Pluto’s a planet, then so is yo mama.