Former Warner Music CTO: Of course leaked albums drive sales!

8 Responses to “Former Warner Music CTO: Of course leaked albums drive sales!”

1. tofagerl says:

Friday someone posted Gorillaz – DARE (Live) on Reddit. No idea where it came from, cause it was from the Glastonbury set which has never been released.
    Long story short: 48 hours later I own three of their albums and have ordered the live DVD. That’s a lot of money I never intended to spend on music until someone “stole” their copyright and then linked it to me.

2. Andrew Singleton says:

Most of what entertainment I have (including books) started out as me either pirating, youtubing, or downloading a badly OCR’d pdf. Lot of it is stuff I never would have considered if i had to shell money out BEFORE getting my mitts on it.

Since then it’s been mostly a process of making legal the things I’ve enjoyed and junking the stuff I found lacking because it’s taking up drive space.

• Fnordius says:

This.

A million times this.

Even playwrights have gotten performance royalties they wouldn’t have otherwise gotten due to making free PDF’s available, and being smart enough to include contact info. (In my case it was for an amateur production where I was able to contact the author, ask for his permission and directly negotiate performance rights).

3. cymk says:

I agree with you tofagerl, half the music I’ve bought is from bands I would have never heard of without file sharing. Though I’ve found some pretty wretched bands via file sharing.

4. johng says:

The RIAA will go down as the biggest consortium of stupid greedy baboons that has ever walked the face of the earth.

5. noah django says: