Overjoyed frog gives unicorn chaser a run for its money

19 Responses to “Overjoyed frog gives unicorn chaser a run for its money”

1. millie fink says:

Happy happy joy joy!!

The NYT gallery is interesting. The photos of animal faces seemed at first to me like attempts to make animals seem human–the whole anthropomorphism problem.

But there’s something about these photos that doesn’t do that. Instead, they remind me that human animals aren’t so different from other animals. The latter have different personalities, just like people do, and a careful observer can see that in their faces. They also have intelligence and, no doubt, their own versions of “thoughts.”

This page does that for me too–

These careful, humane (ha!) photos makes me think that the whole concept of anthropomorphism is cracked. Those who fling it about often go too far in perceiving a line between “animals” and “people” that isn’t really there.

2. Katie Joseph says:

Some behind-the-scenes on that frog is at Sartore’s website:

3. WillieNelsonMandela says:

Wow, what beautiful animals. Thanks for posting that.

4. K.O. says:

Wow, what beautiful animals.

5. 10xor01 says:

“I interpret this photo as a frog that has just won the Publisher’s Clearinghouse.”

Or maybe a frog that just finished giving one of his toad buddies a tongue bath.

6. davide405 says:

Overjoyed Frog points to Annoyed Puffer-fish and says “What he said.”

7. cjporkchop says:

My first thought: Frog-shaped Fleshlight

8. Joy? I’d kill that thing with a sand wedge if it tried that crap with me.

9. Quiche de Resistance says:

Maybe it’s cause I grew up on nature shows but I immediately thought that frog is not overjoyed, he’s either scared or pissed off but he’s trying to intimidate somebody.  It’s a classic move in the natural world:  puff up as much as you can, stand on your tip toes, open your mouth wide, “look out for me, I’m a big huge scary animal!”

10. frogmarch says:

I’d interpret this photo as a frog onstage at a Big Freedia concert.

11. Avram Grumer says:

Yeah, his face looks happy because of the way his mouth is shaped, but the way his sides are puffed out make think he’s either trying to look big and tough, or gathering in air for an extra-loud croak.

12. gwailo_joe says:

Damaraland mole rats eh?  Silly of me I suppose to assume that ‘naked’ is the only variety…

fur or no: horrible, horrible creatures…I thank heavens that they are small and live underground