16 Responses to “With SpaceX launch, remains of James Doohan (Star Trek's "Scotty") finally rest in peace, in space”

1. Stefan Jones says:

I’m glad that “Scotty’s” ashes are finally en’orbited. I guess that was the surprise cargo.

(And, um, with all respect to the family, I’m so totally going to call my next D&D warrior “Ehrich Blackhound.”)

2. RCDavis says:

I have a reserve set aside in my Will to place my ashes on the moon, or into the sun.  Will $100,000 be enough?  Depends on how long I live I suppose.  In any case, the money will be an excuse to help finance our race in getting off this planet, and that is the worthwhile goal.

3. Pedantic Douchebag says:

As you were, Mr. Scott. As you were.

::plays “Amazing Grace” on the bagpipes::

4. niktemadur says:

Here’s the lovely, key moment of that Next Generation episode, when Data gave Scotty a bottle of alien Scotch, then it was off to the holodeck and a facsimile of the original Enterprise bridge.

• penguinchris says:

I watched all of TOS when I was a kid, reruns on the SciFi channel (late 90′s), and I’ve seen all the movies of course (my favorite moment from the movies will always be Scotty trying to interface with the computer in Star Trek IV).

I just started watching TNG for the first time a couple months ago. I believe you and I have discussed this on BB recently, you’ve been watching it too right? Anyway, I got up to ‘Relics’ a couple weeks ago. It brought a tear to my eye when he walked onto the original bridge with those silly computer sounds :)

Besides what we see from his character (which I think comes largely from his own personality) everything I’ve heard about Doohan says he was a great guy. I’m very pleased that he finally made it into space.

• niktemadur says:

We talked about it here a few months ago, I believe.  And I was there, in front of the TV, when they aired the pilot episode!  So I’ve been watching TNG here and there for about twenty five years.

Some episode plots are very iffy, Wesley’s love powering the Enterprise clear across the Universe in an instant, for example.  Some are positively excellent, “Cause And Effect” and “Timescape” come to mind immediately.  Anyway, the plot of “Relics” gets a bit silly at the end, but Scotty and Picard sharing a stiff drink is worth the price of admission, with genuine sentiment as opposed to being sentimental (in the same sense that ‘moral’ is very different to ‘moralistic’).

So you’re cramming your way through TNG?  That’s what I need to do with “Mad Men” now, but with a two year old son, when I have the time I’m lacking in concentration and get all fidgety, so for the time being I’m going for lighter fare, such as “Yard Crashers” and shit!

• penguinchris says:

Heh, I agree some of the plots are iffy and there are a couple of real clunkers, but also a few which are unquestionably at the top of my list of favorite episodes of any TV show I’ve seen (Darmok and The Offspring being the ones that come to mind for me, Cause and Effect definitely but I haven’t gotten to Timescape yet ;)

Relics was ridiculous in its entirety, but I’m very glad they did it (and I’m glad that Bones had his bit in the pilot episode as well). Kirk got his TNG crossover bit in a movie, Bones was in the TNG pilot, and Spock was in several TNG episodes. Scotty was always the unsung hero though, and Relics was a very sweet (well, bittersweet) and fitting closure for his character. And I know exactly what you mean about the sentiment in that scene on the bridge – and indeed, “Scotty and Picard sharing a stiff drink” – doesn’t get much better than that in Star Trek :)

I have indeed been cramming my way through but when I got up to the point where Deep Space Nine starts I slowed down. I wanted to watch both shows in the order that they originally aired since there’s some cross-over, but I find myself not wanting to bother watching DS9. Needed to take a break anyway and have been watching other stuff (I watched all of Game of Thrones last week for example).

Mad Men is worth it though. I started watching that near the end of Season 2 and have been keeping up with it; it’s the only current show I like enough to keep up with (although there’s Game of Thrones now too).

5. tomrigid says:

I don’t know what I’ll be drinking tonight, but I know what color it will be.

6. robcat2075 says:

“Each failed attempt was newly agonizing for family members, prolonging their grief and lack of closure.”

“closure” has got to be one of the most preposterous tropes in pop writing.

I’ve never been to a burial and thought afterward “wow, I feel so much better now that things are… closed!”

• countablyinfinite says:

Just because you’ve never experienced it, doesn’t make it not real.

• tomrigid says:

That you think “closure” is nothing more than a popular trope says a great deal about the insularity of your thought and the narrowness of your experience. As a useful exercise, you might attempt to imagine yourself into a situation in which closure would be a necessary and palliative transition, if for no other reason than to improve your poker game.

7. Maria Pranzo says:

I was a Trek geek way back in the day and started going to conventions in NYC at 14, somewhere in the mid-late 70′s.  I went to every con for years, and got to know James Doohan as well as any fan could hope.  He would call to me when I entered the room, with a cheery “Maria!”, both embarrassing me and sending me swooning a bit.

Fast forward twenty years, and I went to my first convention since my teens.  The “fab four” of ST:TOS (Doohan, Nichols, Takei, and Koenig) were taking photos with fans for $10 a pop and giving the money to charity.

Jimmy was already ill at the time, and had a bit of trouble talking.  But he took my hand, stared at me for a few moments, lit up, and said “It’s been years.  How are you doing, darling?!”

And I was 14 again, blushing, thrilled, and oh so much at home.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I went to a convention in the mid 90s. I have to admit that when he spoke, he was more than a bit rambley.

8. Rosin Ffield says:

As my brother-in-dreams Bruce wagner (of LA) used to say: “beat me up scotty”