Makies: custom-made, 3D printed action dolls

26 Responses to “Makies: custom-made, 3D printed action dolls”

1. CH says:

Ooh, that’s a really nice idea!!!  Really nice web page, too! I was going to suggest custom skin color… but then I noticed it was on the “todo” list, so never mind. :)

2. EH says:

They should totally get with some of the virtual environment companies. There are people who go gaga over their 3D avatars.

3. digi_owl says:

Hate to be the doubter in this, but the gray like styling sets of my neck hairs.

• penguinchris says:

I thought they were creepy too when I saw these yesterday, but I really think it’s just the color. If you make them a normal skin color (or, well, any color besides what it is ;) then they’d look fine. The seemingly all-black eyes in the second picture don’t help of course :)

You could almost certainly figure out a good type of paint to use, and paint skin colors and other details if you wanted. And @TheMudshark:disqus - someone really interested in these might also be interested in making their own doll clothes :)

Just out of curiosity, I do wonder what specific influences informed the design – it feels reminiscent of a bunch of different things (including grays).

• TheMudshark says:

I quite like the creepiness of the white skin and black eyes, much more interesting than normal skin colour i.m.o. All black skin would be cool too.

• EH says:

Pretty sure they’re paintable.

4. TheMudshark says:

The face editor is fun, the fashion choices leave a lot to be desired. Maybe just some plain t-shirts would be nice. Or even custom printed t-shirts.
    For the future, perhaps different body types would be an option.

5. SedanChair says:

There’s only one Maakies, regardless of how many times you use the letter A

6. RadioSilence says:

Are they meant to be that scary looking?
    They’re a bit disturbing :(

7. puppybeard says:

Oh my jesus I’m a grown man and I’m playing with their online doll designer.

These people are onto something.
    The concept is so easy to get across, the interface is brilliant, and it lets people make their own dolls. I hope they do fantastically well, they deserve it.

• puppybeard says:

Short note: if you make a doll, try and save it, and click the Facebook option, then get self-conscious about people seeing what you’re doing in work, and hit the back button, you lose your dolly. :(

8. Orthodoxcaveman says:

At last I can build my own Team America: World Police. If not I’ll just settle for a Kim Jong-il.

9. benher says:

I think it’s a great concept!! Hopefully a bit more control in the future –  I’m not crazy about the facial proportions, but then again I’m a picky and pedantic doll collector to begin with!

10. Andrew Singleton says:

It’ll never be truely customizeable as we’d like (no import your own shirt images etc) due to copyright wonks. However this is a great idea.

11. stephen levering says:

These will be perfect for the eventual Robopocalypse film…

12. jpgsawyer says:

I for one welcome our new alien overlords!

13. Stefan Jones says:

Fascinating concept, and a gift certificate would make an interesting present.

But for Ghu’s sake, they need some color. As it stands they’re like something that would crawl out of little holes in the depths of the Uncanny Valley and jab utility knives into your ankle.

14. TheMadLibrarian says:

These would be great for a number of MMORPG, but will they get into trouble over copyright issues?  I can just see the lawsuits drifting down like confetti if they tried to do them for STO, WOW, or EVE Online.  Could they ‘port specs from a game?

15. tubacat says:

I did it! I made a Makie (named Evangeline) and even though it was not cheap (about $150), I ordered it to be made real, or 3-D, or non-virtual, or whatever adjective we’ll have to come up with now that things that live in computers are now the unmarked case…

Here she is…

16. Franca Lee says:

This is very awesome!  When I have my own kids I am gonna definitely do the same.

Thanks for sharing! :)

17. Mark Leaman says:

Why do I get the feeling that I’ll be fighting off an army of these things with a lawnmower.

18. Edward says:

What a minute cory didn’t i read this book and i seem to remember you  wrote it.